Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reversing an artic round a corner

Options
  • 25-03-2009 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Anyone who's tried will know what i mean ive must have done 25 corners sometimes i get it most times i dont

It will be the death of me !!!!!:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,982 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Were you doing an offside reverse or a nearside one?

Off side reverses are easier as you have better visibility and it's the one that most truck drivers will use in non-test situations. You are permitted to look out the driver's window to monitor your progress.

(It seems a bit unfair that, in the test, a candidate may be requested to do either, when one is more difficult that the other).

My only advice really is to use the 'a little on-a little off' manoeuvre. Nothing too dramatic as a small turn of the steering wheel is magnified at the end of the trailer.

Has your trailer two or three axles? Two axle trailers tend to be more precise but require extra room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Were you doing an offside reverse or a nearside one?

Off side reverses are easier as you have better visibility and it's the one that most truck drivers will use in non-test situations. You are permitted to look out the driver's window to monitor your progress.

(It seems a bit unfair that, in the test, a candidate may be requested to do either, when one is more difficult that the other).

My only advice really is to use the 'a little on-a little off' manoeuvre. Nothing too dramatic as a small turn of the steering wheel is magnified at the end of the trailer.

Has your trailer two or three axles? Two axle trailers tend to be more precise but require extra room.

Its an off-side and its two axle's its doing my brain in tbh
    im very quick at picking things up i still feel a million miles away from the reversing part and thats after 12 hours of lessons i have the driving pretty much sorted bar a few small things

Are you swinging too wide or cutting too soon or do you have difficulty getting realigned after the turn.

My reversing during lessons was patchy enough. Some days it was perfect, other days it was poor but it went well on the day of the test. Thankfully I got an offside reverse.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Do you mind me asking what's an offside and nearside reverse? :o
    (I'm guessing it's someway connected to what side of the road you're reversing from..?)

Caderyn wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking what's an offside and nearside reverse? :o
    (I'm guessing it's someway connected to what side of the road you're reversing from..?)
    A 'nearside' reverse is similar to what a car driver would be asked in a test (i.e. passenger side nearest kerb).

An 'offside' reverse is the opposite (i.e. driver's side nearest kerb) which is much easier in an artic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Burtchaell

Are you allowed to re-angle your cyclops or other mirrors??? because how can you possibly see the rear wheels during a nearside reverse.

Burtchaell wrote: »
    Are you allowed to re-angle your cyclops or other mirrors??? because how can you possibly see the rear wheels during a nearside reverse.
    It wasn't permitted when I did it (and there were no cyclops mirrors then). I'm not sure about nowadays.

That is why the nearside reverse is difficult as, when the tractor is at an acute angle, most of what is reflected is the side of the trailer. It is still possible to see the end of the trailer but it requires a bit of stretching.

On the offside, one can simple see everything by looking out the drivers side window.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

In he C/C1 do you not have to do both corners on the reverse? I understand your not talking about this sorry for going offside but i cant remember :o

Davy wrote: »
    In he C/C1 do you not have to do both corners on the reverse? I understand your not talking about this sorry for going offside but i cant remember :o
    I can't recall the reversing manoeuvre in the C test either. It probably depends on the tester.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

i did the C test nearly a year ago and was asked to do both sides

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

guil wrote: »
    i did the C test nearly a year ago and was asked to do both sides

Thanks,, i thought as much

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Burtchaell

I see what you mean Ash. In Waterford the tester at the start makes you drive into a big compound with a layout of road scenarios. There is a T junction with a slight enough turn. (symbolising a fairly large road) you do your onside and offside there. I was picturing a very steep corner somewhere around the city when i asked the question.:pac: I understand how you can see the end now (still would take a lot of neck craning though.lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭gu10

Davy wrote: »
    Thanks,, i thought as much

i only had to do 1 side but had to learn both. this was at the end of '09

reversing an artic around a corner will also be the death of me. feck, tis hard

Advertisement