Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Limerick need another Ho(s)tel?

Options
  • 25-03-2009 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

The LIM Leader has a piece about the Globe probably being converted to a 85-bed hostel catering as a budget accomodation for the younger tourists.

Granted, it's a hostel and not a hotel - but aren't there enough hotels and B&Bs in town? Aren't the struggeling already?

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Globe-to-welcome-tourists.5104710.jp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Fecksake you'd think they'd have learned their lesson already, it got ridiculous 3 years ago. Then again with the times a hostel would make more sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Hostels are different to hotels and b&b's and cater to a fairly different market. Welcome addition to the city, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

And to be honest...I don't know of any hostel in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Hostels are different to hotels and b&b's and cater to a fairly different market. Welcome addition to the city, imo.
    Ya I'd go along with this sentiment. It'll make for an improvement from the decaying Globe in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭sioda

About bloody time limerick needs a decent or at this stage any hostel its a disgrace that the city has gone over 6 years with out backpackers accomodation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

this is a great idea.. Limerick has needed a hostel hopefully it will be a success and attract a few young tourists to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,169 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Definately better than looking at another empty building.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

bazz26 wrote: »
    Definately better than looking at another empty building.
    my point exactly. the city is closing down. We need to get people in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

dave98 wrote: »
    my point exactly. the city is closing down. We need to get people in

Whats even scarier is that the dell layoffs have'nt really begun yet and the city is already looking gloomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Whats even scarier is that the dell layoffs have'nt really begun yet and the city is already looking gloomy.

There are around 92,000 people or so living in Limerick as per Wikipedia(bible) and 2000 or so people are losing their jobs from Dell without taking into account the rest of the supporting companies.

I think the city will survive. The city is not built on Dell like the way detroit was on the motoring industry.

Cork lost Ford and Dunlop and they didnt tell the last person out to switch off the lights.

Limerick lost Wang & AST and is now going to lose Dell. Dell employees will get jobs eventually and the rest of the city, most of whom have jobs, will ensure the stability of the city for the coming future.

Lets not order the headstone just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Berty wrote: »
    There are around 92,000 people or so living in Limerick as per Wikipedia(bible) and 2000 or so people are losing their jobs from Dell without taking into account the rest of the supporting companies.

I think the city will survive. The city is not built on Dell like the way detroit was on the motoring industry.

Cork lost Ford and Dunlop and they didnt tell the last person out to switch off the lights.

Limerick lost Wang & AST and is now going to lose Dell. Dell employees will get jobs eventually and the rest of the city, most of whom have jobs, will ensure the stability of the city for the coming future.

Lets not order the headstone just yet.

Well said. At this stage I think people would be happier if Dell just got it over with and fvcked off rather than making dribs and drabs layoffs. If it wants to keep R&D, let them commit to it and get on, and if it doesn't want to commit just get lost.

Meanwhile back in on topic town, a hostel is a very welcome addition to the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 chipchop

yeah defo sure didnt the hilton had t pull out of limerick cause of a lack of business, same wit the quality hotel if im right... and i could be wrong.. anyways the hilton is now the strand and the quality is now the malidron i think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Berty wrote: »
    Dell employees will get jobs eventually and the rest of the city, most of whom have jobs

What planet are you on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

i cant even get an interview or reply of no back from jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Thought the Sarsfield inn got turned into a hostel,
    and also there was one close to Dolans, and remember
    one near the vic nightclub.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

The Sarsfield is a hostel for refugees AFAIK
    The one at the dock rd is student accomodation mostlyt but they are doing hostel business during the summer.
    the one at Barringtons isn't there anymore for years now.

Advertisement