Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place for a family in Clonmel

Options
  • 25-03-2009 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

My girlfriend and I are intending to settle in Clonmel, and I wanted to get some advice on the best place to settle there.

I'm working in Thurles so its not too far away, but would be interested in renting at first and then looking to purchase in 6/8 months once we have settled in and know we are happy with the area.

I have looked at estates like Glencarra, and Crann Ard on the Fethard road and also Longfield etc on the Cashel road but wanted to get peoples opinions on each.

I want to get somewhere which is family friendly, and with children around as my girlfriend has an 8 year old son so I would want him to make friends in the locality.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,462 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

elm park

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

callaway92 wrote: »
    elm park

MMmm.. Yes Elm Park is one of these tight nit communities where things like this never happen around here type of place. May be worth looking into.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

Yes, had heard about elm park alright.. not quite sure its what i'm looking for though... ;)

Any other suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

doubtfir3 wrote: »
    My girlfriend and I are intending to settle in Clonmel, and I wanted to get some advice on the best place to settle there.

I'm working in Thurles so its not too far away, but would be interested in renting at first and then looking to purchase in 6/8 months once we have settled in and know we are happy with the area.

I have looked at estates like Glencarra, and Crann Ard on the Fethard road and also Longfield etc on the Cashel road but wanted to get peoples opinions on each.

I want to get somewhere which is family friendly, and with children around as my girlfriend has an 8 year old son so I would want him to make friends in the locality.

Thanks

I haven't heard any really bad about the places you mention op. Afaik Longfield would be a smaller estate and the houses there are ment to be nice.

There are some good schools in the town as well my young lad goes to St.Peters and Pauls and loves it there and I've been fairly impressed with the teaching there.

There is also plenty of clubs in the town from soccer to rugby and Gaa. Longfield is just down the road from the rugby club in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Tubberadora

I would stay away from Crann Ard myself. A horribly overcrowded estate with houses very much on top of each other. Some nice estates up the Cashel Road such as Longfield, Drom Ard, Ard Caoinn, Ard Aoibheann and a few others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

Thanks for the replies.

I do like the houses in Crann Ard and regard them as being spacious, but also like the houses in Longfield, even though they appear smaller.

I'm going to drive around there on Saturday and see what I feel about the place and will take it from there.

Thanks for the suggestion on school also - obviously it will be an important issue for us! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

alexmcred wrote: »
    There are some good schools in the town as well my young lad goes to St.Peters and Pauls and loves it there and I've been fairly impressed with the teaching there.

Fully agree. I went there for my primary education.
    Brilliant school. Be sure to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 31charlie

doubtfir3 wrote: »

Thanks
    why not try clerihan about 5 miles outside clonmel

Advertisement