Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Optimising

Options
  • 25-03-2009 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Im inundated with emails each day from companies who want to optimise my websites and put me higher up the rankings. I already have someone doign this with good results but wanted to know if anyone else use these companies and if so what results? Would you recommend and what do you pay? Do they continually optimise it or so it just once a month or so?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

If you get unsolicited emails then its spam and run a mile form these companies...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

Also be aware that SEO is one hell of a black-magic smoke and mirrors thing. It's so easy for people to claim great results, but you've got to be realistic.
    if your business is unique or very niche, then you can get good search engine results for VERY NARROW search criteria. If your business is common, then you have to mix it with lots of others and it will take months or years to be high in a search.
    The best thing is to get genuine links. IE other websites that refer to your site or business. Forget about big link swaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Old Gill

conolan wrote: »
    Also be aware that SEO is one hell of a black-magic smoke and mirrors thing. It's so easy for people to claim great results, but you've got to be realistic.
    if your business is unique or very niche, then you can get good search engine results for VERY NARROW search criteria. If your business is common, then you have to mix it with lots of others and it will take months or years to be high in a search.
    The best thing is to get genuine links. IE other websites that refer to your site or business. Forget about big link swaps.

Thanks so links on other sites will bump it up. Say I have about 5 or 6 links should that make a big difference or are you talking about 100's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

Old Gill wrote: »
    Thanks so links on other sites will bump it up. Say I have about 5 or 6 links should that make a big difference or are you talking about 100's?

Totally depends on the perceived "value" of these 5 or 6 links you have, the competitiveness of the terms you want to rank for and a number of other factors such as your anchor text, number of outbound links on the pages you mention etc..

But in a nutshell yes it will assist if done right-but what exactly is a "big difference" depends on your criteria. Some sites will move up with one decent link in fairly non competitive niches-others require a lot more so it all is relevant really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭byrne0f56789

Link building is hard and time consuming. There is no quick fix to SEO. The key is your content. It must be good enough for others to link to. It's also a good idea to facilitate this by having a social bookmarking widget on every page.

• Advertisement
Advertisement