Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU commission - Fixed line sector officially broken

Options
  • 25-03-2009 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭

14th annual report on Ireland

Wholesale broadband costs too high
    Wholesale network unreliable
    Competition underdeveloped
    eircom share of direct fixed access 99.8%
    ASO delayed
    Line rental highest in Europe
    Rural divide poor but NBS mentioned

Horrible to read and something that the international communities will link to our efforts for a "Smart Economy" - This has to be fixed for once and for all

Mobile ok-ish though

Report attached

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The progress referred to here is the 'progress' we have made implementing EU competion and Consumer protection directives .

As the EU notes we have made feck all progress really , having gone backwards instead :(

Highest Line Rental in the EU .....says the EU . It is actually the highest in teh whole world .

Look at these basket prices EU/Ireland

Average/typical broadband consumer price €36.89/month €40.58/month
    Average/typical mobile communication consumer price €19.49/month €29.64/month
    Average/typical fixed telephony communication consumer price €36.13/month €52.74/month

Full report here, not just Ireland .

http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/policy/ecomm/library/communications_reports/annualreports/14th/index_en.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

crawler wrote: »

But Comreg said "everything is ok, trust us".
    Minister Ryan said we have 63% broadband coverage.

We're doing grand, those who knows these things have told us so and now those nasty people in the EU have said we aren't.
    I believe our government statistics, they would never try to fool us now would they?

Comreg are such a fantastic regulator, almost as good as FinWreck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

crawler wrote: »

And now I know where the 63% figure came from...he really meant 6.3%, just like it says in the report. What a difference a dot makes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Hi all,

Quick disclaimer: I work for the PR agency that handles ALTO's communications.

Just posting to say that ALTO are calling for the government to nationalise or invest in the phone network and make it more open for other Telcos to invest in it. The full statement can be found here

I'd expect similar calls to be made by other parties over the next while giving this report and the USO report's findings from last week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I doubt if a minister who lies constantly about the state of Broadband in Ireland would know what to do with an eircom if he took it over . In fact he would not know why he was taking it over in the first place would he .??

So no!

Get rid of Ryan first ....make him Minister for Bicycles and the Glimmermen who go around on them first . Get him the hell out of communications :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I doubt if a minister who lies constantly about the state of Broadband in Ireland would know what to do with an eircom if he took it over . In fact he would not know why he was taking it over in the first place would he .??

So no!

Get rid of Ryan first ....make him Minister for Bicycles and the Glimmermen who go around on them first . Get him the hell out of communications :(

Posting as an independent citizen now...

The subtext here is that if they were to get involved they could forcibly open it up to other Telcos who would know exactly what could be done with it. It would also send signals to potential investors in Eircom to get in there and do up the network as well as saving a few jobs.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Heard ALTO on Drivetime, interesting PR strategy - Works well along with the awful 14th Implementation report.

RTE reporter challenged the nationalise aspect which was clarified by ALTO very well ('not a good thing but intervention is required'), the jobs aspect was well covered.

Spokesman made sense - again.

Just heard the ComReg / RTE statement - CLAP TRAP.

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Linky here to RTE coverage..

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0325/6news_av.html?2514717,null,230

Bottom line is - Europe has said it's broken and no amount of spin can change that - Europe has said ComReg have to fix it - it has to be fixed. If it's not fixed then I guess Europe will fix it for them and that would be a very bad/good thing depending on which side of the fence you sit.

There is no true competition to speak of in Ireland only partial price competition (bitstream resellers) - this is not a long term strategy for anyone.

I really do love this industry but it can really be depressing at times...now is the time for fixes and for that we ALL have a part to play..

Advertisement