Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Insurance in the UK

Options
  • 24-03-2009 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Whats an NI number - is that the same as the Irish PPS?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Chaz wrote: »
    Whats an NI number - is that the same as the Irish PPS?

yes, its the uk version.........the number is on your national insurance card that i mentioned above. It can take a while to process, mine took 6 weeks, my advice would be to get one asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Thanks - will look at getting it sorted asap.

Reading about the NI number here:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nic/your-nino.htm

etc.

Where do you physically go (or is it only over the phone) to apply for a NI number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

i lived in luton for a few years and i rang then up first and then they gave me an appointment in an office load of questions about your details mothers maiden name and all that, you can get a cis card aswell kinda self employed but you get a tax rebate every year i used to get around 6k tax back every april from the cis you would get a slip from your employer every month to claim it back, if you ask in the town hall they will send you to the right place

Ok thanks. Can I be paid at all wihtout one or while its still to come through? Or is it treated like Emergency Tax is in Ireland?

• Advertisement

Reading about the NI number here:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nic/your-nino.htm

etc.

Where do you physically go (or is it only over the phone) to apply for a NI number?

just pop into any local job centre.......

If you were not born in the UK and have the right to work, you will need to apply for an NI number.
    An application is made to the Department for Works and Pension for National Insurance Number. This can be done via your local jobcentre . You will need to provide:
    • Proof of your identity. This could be your traveling document or international passport. It could also be your UK driving license if you have one with your photograph (passport) attached.
    • Proof of your address. This is a document showing that you live at an address. This document could be in form of utility bills, provisional driving license, bank statement or your tenancy agreement. If you are new to the UK and does not yet have a valid proof of address, see legal genuine ways of obtaining a valid proof of address at our proof of address page.
    • Proof that you are entitled to work in the UK. This could be the visa stamp page of your international passport or travel document showing entitlement to work. If you are a student, you may be required to provide a letter from your institution of learning that you have been enrolled into a course of study.
    • Proof that you are actively seeking work. As started earlier, you do not actually need an NI number before been granted a job. If you have not still gotten a job, then documentary evidence that you are actively seeking employment will be required at the NI office. Such evidence could include letters inviting you to attend interview, any correspondence from a potential employer, a letter or email acknowledging receipt of your application form, a letter stating that you have been unsuccessful at an interview, e.t.c. Some job centers will request you submit four of such evidence that you have been actively seeking employment.
      For those already employed, a payslip or letter of job offer, is all that is needed as proof of working.
    • Your employers name, full address and telephone number
    • The postcode of the area you live and work.
    http://www.get-uk-jobs.com/national-insurance-number.html

Ok thanks. Can I be paid at all wihtout one or while its still to come through? Or is it treated like Emergency Tax is in Ireland?

you will get paid normally, an employer will just issue a temporary number until you get an official one, employers rules vary though. It is usually at a higher rate of tax but you can get a P60 FORM (if memory serves) from the post office, fill it in and claim it back. The guys at the job centre will sort that out for you id say.

daithijjj wrote: »
    you will get paid normally, an employer will just issue a temporary number until you get an official one, employers rules vary though. It is usually at a higher rate of tax but you can get a P60 FORM (if memory serves) from the post office, fill it in and claim it back. The guys at the job centre will sort that out for you id say.

Great, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

ya thats it the cis card is normally used by people working on the buildings you keep all of your reciepts and claim money back every april from revenue, you gain about 10r a day in take home pay , but if your waiting on national insurance number they will prob stop emergency tax

Advertisement