Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ubuntu resolution help

Options
  • 24-03-2009 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

i accidently sent the resolution wrong while use Ubuntu, now i cant see anything on screen. I also use vista on the same pc but i can see whats going on the screen there. Help please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

from a terminal run:
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

That will take you through all the xorg setting again. You can boot to terminal by pressing Escape at the grub screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 agent 47

Im only new to ubuntu so I could be doing something wrong but I pressed escape on the grub screen but nothing happened.
    I logged and press crtl+alt+f4 and type it in but said you need to run from boot. I dont know what i did wrong.

I think it said from root so:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

It will ask for a password - just enter your own one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 agent 47

yeah i tried but got no where. It was asking me about keyboard layout and something about the tab key, after that a black dialog box pop up that had my computers name@my name(theowl@gary) or somthing. I entered the code again but it took me back to the start of the keyboard thing

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

try a different monitor if you have one

will ubuntu rebuild the xorg.conf file if you delete it ?

• Advertisement

the reconfigure does everything for xorg - which inludes keyboard and mouse settings. The tab key is used for moving between the buttons. For keyb/mouse you can probably just press enter until you get to the screen resolution setup area.

Capt'n - it will - but will use default settings iirc.

Advertisement