Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what emotions?

Options
  • 24-03-2009 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭

do you get when u see this picture

put_in_perspective.jpg

for me it actually makes me kinda emotional. i mean we think the earth is so important but in reality its just a tiny spec in the galaxy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cill-bill

well it makes me feel lyk "is that all it is?? ****!"
    bt then again it me think about the universe and the fact that it is slowing down its expansion and will start to contract after that, a bit pesimistic but it also makes me think that there is deffinatly other hostable planets in the universe if thats the size of earth in comparison to well...everything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

cill-bill wrote: »
    well it makes me feel lyk "is that all it is?? ****!"
    bt then again it me think about the universe and the fact that it is slowing down its expansion and will start to contract after that, a bit pesimistic but it also makes me think that there is deffinatly other hostable planets in the universe if thats the size of earth in comparison to well...everything

Who told you that?

Agree with the OP, puts it all in perspective when you see a picture like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cill-bill

I read it in a few books and saw it on discovery, I think?? OP??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

cill-bill wrote: »
    I read it in a few books and saw it on discovery, I think?? OP??

Current consensus is that the expansion of the universe is accelerating. No real evidence it will reverse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

It actually makes me feel happy exactly because it reminds me of our insignificance. I 'suffer' from depression quite a bit but thinking about things like this makes everything - all my worries - seem pointless, and from that I can find solace.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just to put it into context
    hubble_deep_010925_03.jpg
    The picture covers a speck of sky 1/30th the diameter of the full Moon. But because researchers think the universe is structured similarly in all directions, this view of a narrow patch of sky has a wider purpose.

"The Hubble Deep Field is also sort of the universe's wallpaper -- whatever direction you look the universe should resemble this pattern of a sea of seeming endless galaxies," Villard said. "What's staggering is that each little blob is the combined light of 100 billion stars."

That's that famous image that's shown 'everywhere', isn't it? It looks back some 13 billions years. It's quite - how should I put it - jawdropping to think that this represents only a speck of space in our immediate Universe. Actually, when they say that there are more stars out there than there are grains of sand in every beach on Earth, then maybe it's more understandable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

acontadino wrote: »

put_in_perspective.jpg

What was that taken from, one of the Vikings?

I'm pretty sure that it was taken from Voyager I or II from, like, 'very' far away! It was something like past Jupiter when it took it, but I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

acontadino wrote: »

put_in_perspective.jpg

Anxious, embarrassed, hopeless.
    There is a possibility that we could be the only sentient life in the universe and it makes me anxious and embarrassed to see how self destructive as a species we are and also how absorbed we are in the ridiculous concept of religion.
    We are headlong emerged into destroying the only environment we can survive in.
    For me, the two long term goals the human species should be focusing are the survival of the speices and to emerge into the galaxy and explore.
    However I doubt very much that our infant like species will acheive this based on past evidence.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Iridium

Kevster wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that it was taken from Voyager I or II from, like, 'very' far away! It was something like past Jupiter when it took it, but I'm not sure.

As far as I know, that's a very famous image, called The Pale Blue Dot - referring to the appearance of the planet Earth from very far away.

It was taken in 1990 by Voyager 1 from a distance of over 6 billion km!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Current consensus is that the expansion of the universe is accelerating. No real evidence it will reverse.

Yes there is, everything in the universe is about cycle and spinning, at present everything is expanding. But it will come to a stage where everything will just deplete and deflate. Goes back to deflated anti matter formula. A condensed dot. When the energy become so great with the sheer mass in such a small confined space. It will again explode and the universe dances again.

There is no logic in expanding forever, if thats the case, there is no window,door, beginning, ending, cycle, or even gravity. Everything wil desperse and go beyond the derk matter zones. The galaxy will drift apart and eventually die. There is no logic in expanding forever.

If it expands it can contract. Think of how a balloon works. Our galaxys and stars behave like this too. These a small parts of the universe. So this is evidence as to how the universe would behave also. The same goes for blackholes which appear when the sun/stars die and all matter becomes so condensed, the matter then contracts and then turns into a sucktion, pretty much what a blackhole is. It's depleting everything around it. There is evidence all around you. There is evidence of this terminology in nature. Where we are born and soon die. Then Nature replaces and creates from what just was removed. Rebirth and death. The same with water and it's stages. It's all cycles. Everything in the univers spins, so therefore everything in the universe has to be a cycle. So everything will happen in this way logically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭zesman

I suppose its frightening when you think about it. We are just one small component of the mighty universe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

It was Voyager I in 1990.
    Reading for the first time, what Sagan said about it really made me emotional. Amazing image.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

mysterious wrote: »
    Yes there is, everything in the universe is about cycle and spinning, at present everything is expanding. But it will come to a stage where everything will just deplete and deflate. Goes back to deflated anti matter formula. A condensed dot. When the energy become so great with the sheer mass in such a small confined space. It will again explode and the universe dances again.

There is no logic in expanding forever, if thats the case, there is no window,door, beginning, ending, cycle, or even gravity. Everything wil desperse and go beyond the derk matter zones. The galaxy will drift apart and eventually die. There is no logic in expanding forever.

If it expands it can contract. Think of how a balloon works. Our galaxys and stars behave like this too. These a small parts of the universe. So this is evidence as to how the universe would behave also. The same goes for blackholes which appear when the sun/stars die and all matter becomes so condensed, the matter then contracts and then turns into a sucktion, pretty much what a blackhole is. It's depleting everything around it. There is evidence all around you. There is evidence of this terminology in nature. Where we are born and soon die. Then Nature replaces and creates from what just was removed. Rebirth and death. The same with water and it's stages. It's all cycles. Everything in the univers spins, so therefore everything in the universe has to be a cycle. So everything will happen in this way logically.

You sound like spock!! :D

Unfortunately, what ur saying cant be proven, only speculated. all we know for sure is the universe is expanding and will do so long after humans are gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 JohnnyIrvine666

Stephen Hawking once said
    "human life is too precious for one planet." Makes ya reliese just how small we are......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭briktop

the following is pure speculation !

i wouldnt worry about this element .

based on the estimates of a number of scientists ( that can be googled )
    the odds that somethig is impossible is estimated to be a 1 in 10 to power 250 or so

the chance of dna alone randomly combining out of nothing is estimated at 10 to the 4 million

ie , life is absolutely , totally , undoubtedly - impossible with knobs on

yet it is all over the place on this tiny spec of dust in the universe.

there fore , for life to exist - something creative and intelligent had to have a hand in it
    somthing had to force or push life to occur .
    whether you beleive in god ,or nature or whatever as an intelligent force .
    something did it .

and if it did it here , it must be commonplace in the universe.
    soemthing that intelligent isnt going to just fling it at one tiny spec in the universe.

in fact , it looks likely the universe was specifically created for life to exist.

taking this a step further ,
    this would imply that their must be a vast intelligence out there that may exist in another universe
    or dimension that created this universe and or manipulted this one for life to exist.
    then created life or injected life into it.

the real question would be why would it do this ?

this leads to the questions , maybe its us ? maybe its all lifeforms

maybe lifes natural state is a concious energy
    and the physical state is used only for specific reasons .
    dumb atoms combining together until they can perceive each other does not make sense unless a conscious binding energy
    is required to animate said atoms - atoms without this energy are just atoms , dust if you will .

maybe life is primarily and energy force , that can inhabit physical atomic forms if it chooses to .
    so that all life consicously and collectively built this universe to allow itself to exist in a 3d physical form .

what should really worry you is the fact that this planet ,and all its life is heading for a wipeout ,
    sooner rather than later due to population pressure , pollution , food and water shortages .
    there is just to many of us now .

but then again , maybe thats just this pale blue dots destiny for whatever reason .
    there are probably plenty of pale blue dots out there that wont fcuk it all up like we are doing.

Advertisement