Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopt-a-protégé anyone?

Options
  • 24-03-2009 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭

I need skillz. Make me goot @ pokerz!!!1@!

Following on from this thread: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055349466&highlight=viable , I am still on the long road to earning money playing our beloved game. I hit a busy couple of months life-wise so couldnt really commit, but am back on the trail in earnest now.

What I need however is some guidance. I am spending hours reading 2+2 forums/books/DeucesCracked vids (PNLHEv1 atm) and am still frustrated by my breakevenness (FR party 25NL - Have swtched to 6 max last few days, prob for ever!). I'm 22/16/3 over about 40k but can't really use HEM3 to it's max at all, as I dont know where to start.

Does anyone feel like takin pity on a wee tike and showin me the way in person? Potentially sweatin me for a couple of sessions or letting me observe/discuss your own play? I am aware of coaching cost implications but I cant afford them to be honest, so Im lookin for a sound soul who is feeling charitable! I'll stake u into 2012 ME when Im ballertastic or somethin!? Dublin-based.

Cheers, C.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

I was looking for a pan-handling pic. Found this one instead and thought it was funny.

kropcentonset.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

I wouldn't mind if I had the time. I'm no baller myself, but I can defo beat 25NL pretty solidly. I'd also feel that doing something like that would help me in a way as well.

You can PM me if you're interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

NickyOD wrote: »
    I was looking for a pan-handling pic. Found this one instead and thought it was funny.

haha fook off! I'm willing to trade witty banter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭The C Kid

TommyGunne wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind if I had the time. I'm no baller myself, but I can defo beat 25NL pretty solidly. I'd also feel that doing something like that would help me in a way as well.

You can PM me if you're interested.

OP should take up on this quickly, given that TG seems to be one of very few strat posters who isn't mildly retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

perhaps a long term reward % instead of paying him for the coaching would be best for both. You only pay him when your winning. Id snap this offer up OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

I need about 1000 records encoded onto mp3. If you do that Ill make you into a good poker player (if possible)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭dougee19

I need about 1000 records encoded onto mp3. If you do that Ill make you into a good poker player (if possible)

do it!!! will be worth it

Random request! As in; Vinyl -> MP3?? I could prob download (legally) 50% of it in MP3?!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Tight Ted

Going by your threads you've played 140k+ hands and are still break even at 25nl. Seems to me like you could do worse than take up these kind offers. Best of luck, hope to see you posting 5/10 hands soon!

consultech wrote: »
    Random request! As in; Vinyl -> MP3?? I could prob download (legally) 50% of it in MP3?!

He means CDs. This would be a long and tedious job, but if your serious about your poker you should take up this offer in a heartbeat. Could result in you making 100K per annum at your hobby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Tight Ted wrote: »
    He means CDs. This would be a long and tedious job, but if your serious about your poker you should take up this offer in a heartbeat. Could result in you making 100K per annum at your hobby.
    Pretty sure he means MP3s, not CD's. I assume HJ is looking for everything in FLAC (a lossless music codec) which is time consuming to rip to perfectly and given the uncompressed nature of the format, takes a considerable amount of time to download as well.

Going by your threads you've played 140k+ hands and are still break even at 25nl. Seems to me like you could do worse than take up these kind offers. Best of luck, hope to see you posting 5/10 hands soon!

Well, I'm up c. $2k over 140k, which I suppose falls inside the realms of "Breakeven", but is still profit.

I have PM'd TG. I think some sort of forum with him (going by what I see of his relative level) could actually be beneficial for both of us.

I obviously very much appreciate HJ's offer, and know beggars cant be choosers, but Im not really into what would be 100's of hours of encodin CD's. I cud make a lot more progress on my own in that time in fairness. You'd probably pay someone a couple of thousand quid to do that, so I could just do the same with coachin. My time (outside of poker) is worth 100x that tbh.

I'm intrigued by the % of me in future live tourneys idea...

AdMMM wrote: »
    Pretty sure he means MP3s, not CD's. I assume HJ is looking for everything in FLAC (a lossless music codec) which is time consuming to rip to perfectly and given the uncompressed nature of the format, takes a considerable amount of time to download as well.

Timewise FLAC encodes at near 1:1/real-time if my understanding is correct? Huge task ahead of u HJ if that's the format ur lookin for! Wud prob be better served recruiting some younger relatives with laptops and nothing to do all summer for €2 an hour or somethin!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

We could work out a fair deal though, for example for every 3 hours you spend working we do an hour coaching, or something like that. It would be time consuming but not very intensive, you could easily play poker at the same time.

edit: its vinyl to mp3, so 1:1

Hmmmm. Id REALLY rather if it were free though!

Dunno, have to have a think/look into how much would actually be involved with the encoding...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Hmmmm. Id REALLY rather if it were free though!

Lol. You don't ask for much hey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

yeh, now you just seem more lazy about it than anything else. Its not easy to learn and improve in poker, and it looks like you think it is.

Also, to say how important you value you time compared to your poker time, and yet youve put in 120k+ hands and made 2k proves this to be incorrect.

Ah now Im keeping it light-hearted, dont get all serious on me! Im not lazy about it, Im willing to put the hours in, just not converting music, I don't have that kind of time. What would be the point in workin my 40 hour week, convertin music for another 15/20, then havin no time to play poker?

However, if there was anyone I would be willing to do it for it would be HJ or Nicky or someone similar. Ill have a think anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

paint my chicken coop

• Registered Users Posts: 36,243 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Ah now Im keeping it light-hearted, dont get all serious on me! Im not lazy about it, Im willing to put the hours in, just not converting music, I don't have that kind of time. What would be the point in workin my 40 hour week, convertin music for another 15/20, then havin no time to play poker?

However, if there was anyone I would be willing to do it for it would be HJ or Nicky or someone similar. Ill have a think anyway...

Personally I think you should just do yourself a favour and quit poker now. You don't seem to have to the correct dedication or frame of mind which you need in this game to succeed.

Find another passtime which you enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Icarus152

Would the person have to actually adopt you? i.e. are you an orphan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Personally I think you should just do yourself a favour and quit poker now. You don't seem to have to the correct dedication or frame of mind which you need in this game to succeed.

Find another passtime which you enjoy.

I kinda agree with Ted :eek:

You seem to want it all without giving anything in return.
    This seems a little much and i'd be surprised if it works out for you,could be wrong of course but you've been lucky enough to have recieved some interest,and imo it'd be in your best interests to be a little flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

In fairness i dont think he looked for a full time coach. Think that he is just looking for some one like TG who is a good player and might want to see how he would do at coaching.

tipp86 wrote: »
    In fairness i dont think he looked for a full time coach. Think that he is just looking for some one like TG who is a good player and might want to see how he would do at coaching.

Very much so Tipp, and I've received a few PM's to this effect.

As this thread has evolved I've started considering that the fact that Im not a stark newblet by any stretch has obviously also appealed to a couple of people on here. As such I've a fairly solid understanding of various concepts, some basic, some advanced, but I obviously have a couple of very basic leaks that I'm overlooking for all my poker education.

As has been suggested, I wasn't looking for a full time coach here at all, moreover just someone to bump heads with for a couple of hours, who may get as much out of it as me, in the way of developing as a coach potentially. I more than have the tools/resources to go on from there and develop my game independantly.

Advertisement