Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Factory Unlocked 3G iphone online.

Options
  • 24-03-2009 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭

Guys,
    Have you any input on the below ....

I have decided to buy a "factory unlocked" 3G iphone on line as i am Vodafone and no one can seem to answer when 2.2.1 will be unlocked so i am guessing a factory unlocked phone is the way to go .

Are there any pit falls i should look out for ?
    Can you recommend a online shop ?

Thanks In Advance.

M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gary_bre

I think the 3g iphone has software that can unlock the phone already and also jailbreak it. http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Gary,

Jailbreaking a 2.2.1 firmware phone is no problem its unlocking it for other networks that cannot be done due to the baseband .

I have heard rumours from 2 weeks to 1 year before the likes of Yellowsnow will have a resolution so i have decided a factory unlocked phone is the answer and no update issues in the future .

I am asking for any problems i may come across and and tips or advice.

Ta
    M.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I don't believe there is an online shop that sells factory unlocked iPhones, apart from e-bay.

If there was, we would all be buying them there instead of going through the yellow snow process.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Apparently play.com are selling them, but they're not cheap.

TrueDub wrote: »
    Apparently play.com are selling them, but they're not cheap.

Just checked that, €655 at today's exchange rate. Ouch.

I wonder if there are any restrictions, as in, will they deliver it to Ireland? (like how amazon let you go all the way to checkout only to tell you they can't deliver to your country :mad:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ohanloj3

mixednuts wrote: »
    Guys,
    Have you any input on the below ....

I have decided to buy a "factory unlocked" 3G iphone on line as i am Vodafone and no one can seem to answer when 2.2.1 will be unlocked so i am guessing a factory unlocked phone is the way to go .

Are there any pit falls i should look out for ?
    Can you recommend a online shop ?

Thanks In Advance.

M.

If you just buy an iphone on 02 there is a shop in blanchardstown village where a guy unblocks phones for twenty eur a pop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm ordering one from www.3gstore.de very soon. You can also get them from expansys but I think the 3gstore price is the best.

ohanloj3 wrote: »
    If you just buy an iphone on 02 there is a shop in blanchardstown village where a guy unblocks phones for twenty eur a pop

2.2.1 can't be unlocked yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ohanloj3

My brother got his unlocked last week

ohanloj3 wrote: »
    My brother got his unlocked last week
    Are you 100% certain it is version 2.2.1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭CivilEx

KTRIC wrote: »
    I'm ordering one from www.3gstore.de very soon.

I had a quick look at this site and while my German isn't as good as it used to be be :), they seem to be €705 for the unlocked 16GB?

Lotta dosh and considering that the new model is likely to be due out in about 3 months the market is going to be full of 3G's at €200 - €300 cheaper then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

CivilEx wrote: »
    I had a quick look at this site and while my German isn't as good as it used to be be :), they seem to be €705 for the unlocked 16GB?

Lotta dosh and considering that the new model is likely to be due out in about 3 months the market is going to be full of 3G's at €200 - €300 cheaper then?

Thats why I've held off until now. Everybody seems to be saying the same thing but no-one has actually proven this to be the case yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Thats why I've held off until now. Everybody seems to be saying the same thing but no-one has actually proven this to be the case yet.
    I think the only thing that we can all go on is what happened when the 2G was replaced by the 3G. As I remember it, the price of the 2G fell by over €200 on places like E-bay within a month or two of release of the 3G.

No guarantees though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'd be surprised if you can get anything from Play.com delivered here. I recently wanted to order something from them. I can't remember what it was, but it was nothing special, maybe a t-shirt, cd or dvd. It wasn't an electronic device. Anyway basically they wouldn't ship it to a non UK address. You only find this out though once you sign in and try to order and pick a non UK delivery address. A message popped up stating some rubbish like items with prices in sterling can only be delivered to the UK :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭beezkneez

I'd be surprised if you can get anything from Play.com delivered here. I recently wanted to order something from them. I can't remember what it was, but it was nothing special, maybe a t-shirt, cd or dvd. It wasn't an electronic device. Anyway basically they wouldn't ship it to a non UK address. You only find this out though once you sign in and try to order and pick a non UK delivery address. A message popped up stating some rubbish like items with prices in sterling can only be delivered to the UK :confused:

play.com will deliver cds, dvds and books to ireland but not t-shirts, gadgets or electronics. i use them all the time for cds, dvds etc and find them and their prices excellent for this kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭handyman

Hi, I got my phone updated to 2.2 and twice it crashed in me - i couldn't use the dial pad or make a phone call unless it was throu my contacts. The guy who updated it told me it was because i used 'CYDIA'. Does anyone know if this is true. Theres a lot on CYDIA I'd like to d/load but am afraid to touch it now!

PS I am SOOOO in love with my iphone! There'll never b anything better.:)

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭fdevine

play.com will deliver everything except gadgets & electronics to Ireland. That includes all clothing.

The reason it said they wouldn't post to Ireland is because you had stg£ and not € prices selected. Display prices in € and your good to go.

Doesn't help those looking for phones unless you have a UK/NI cousin.

Don't Italy and Belgium prohibit the sale of locked phones?? I'm sure you could get a cheap flight to either country and pick up an iphone cheaper than €759. €569 for 16Gb in Italy IIRC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 slevin1212

Hey all,

Does anyone in Blanchardstown unlock iphones 3g?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 walshb5

I'm ordering one from www.3gstore.de very soon. You can also get them from expansys but I think the 3gstore price is the best.

They do have really good prices - especially when you consider how much you can save per month on a different network!

Think this is where I'll be getting mine!

walshb5 wrote: »
    They do have really good prices - especially when you consider how much you can save per month on a different network!

Think this is where I'll be getting mine!

Just a point worth noting - KTRIC actually lives in Germany. It would be worth checking if that site delivers to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 walshb5

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Just a point worth noting - KTRIC actually lives in Germany. It would be worth checking if that site delivers to Ireland.

It seems to. It gives Ireland as an option in the dropdown under delivery address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Heading to Australia next month and will pick one up over there, $900 = €502 for 16GB. Optus unlock it for free after you spend $120 worth of credit on it. But then I'll be stuck with two iPhones! :(

Advertisement