Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Going Forward..."

Options
  • 24-03-2009 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    Don't know if this has been brought up but I have found in the last few years that there has been an irritating, reoccuring slogan entering my ear and chewing a bit of my brain every few days while in any workplace I have frequented. Not "War on Terror", not "Axis of Evil" but the innocent sounding but poisonous words "going forward". It started for me in a multi-chain off licence I worked in, whenever one of the head office honchos, who felt that all they needed to do was remember your name and then you were best of chums, would walk in and spout out this drizzle that David Brent would find intelligent ("let's be proactive, not reactive" was another favourite). The staff in our outlet, all still in university and so therefore not as educated as our 'superiors' would hear these rubbish, incomplete mantras ("going forward into the next quarter", "going forward into the festive season","going forward into the stock take") and laugh at the gall of them that they felt they could slowly fuse this jingle into our mindsets without our realising. How many weekends have these people wasted on managment training courses?
    But now I hear it everywhere! It's like the Baader Meinhof Phenomenon, now that I've picked it up I can't escape it! Everywhere I turn it's been spurted out like a poisonous dart under the guise of a Sun Tzu proverb! Cowen, Brown, Obama, even my boys in the Irish Dragon's Den I have found are resorting to spout out this nonsensical, pointless phrase! Anyone else see this? And more importantly...is there any way to stop it?!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

Well that phrase is better than "going backward" caus thats the way I feel what happen here in Ireland at present. Cheers Oliver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Well that phrase is better than "going backward" caus thats the way I feel what happen here in Ireland at present. Cheers Oliver

+1

Is this thread going Forwards, or anywhere for that matter?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

We need to take a blue sky approach on this one lads......

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

look, goin forward, before we belly up to the bar lets get our ducks in a line. I'll ping you later on our findings.

someone needs head in the face stuff!!

i hear it all the time

lets park that offline for a moment........

its time to prune the low hanging fruit...

have that on my desk by the close of play.....

• Advertisement

Visa V!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

ah jesus lads, we're not doing this again are we? The last one was painful enough.

DubTony wrote: »
    ah jesus lads, we're not doing this again are we? The last one was painful enough.

what wrong Tony, are we "breaking your stones":D:D:D

its time we all got on the same page :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭cooperla

You guys are really getting all the low hanging fruit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I get it but in the context of "yes that has happened, but let's just pretend it didn't, so lets move on from that and try and forget about the massive f*ck up I just made and focus on f*ck ups that you could be making instead."

listen to me very carefully ,this is a finely balanced situation weighted heavily in favour of the customer:rolleyes:

what wrong Tony, are we "breaking your stones":D:D:D

:D:D:D nice

lads,were on a three way street.....we need to take to helicopter view on this

Good Lord. delllat, I'm reporting that post. I'm sure a mod can come up with a reason to ban you for that one.

DubTony wrote: »
    Good Lord. delllat, I'm reporting that post. I'm sure a mod can come up with a reason to ban you for that one.

Banned For managment speak :eek: what next?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭musicmonky

Lets run with "Going Forward" up the flag pole and see if it
    give us a window of opportunity. Everyone must row together, put the shoulder to the wheel and sing from the same hymn sheet.

But when punch comes to shove, its all swings and roundabouts at the end of the day.

Anyone up for a game of business BS bingo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You need to call that other department and "touch base"

the business is currently undergoing a paradigm shift

• Registered Users Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭jmcc

Perhaps is even worse is the tautology "headed up".

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

" lets take a look at the commercials on this"...FFS..why not just ask for the price!!

Advertisement