Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Professional - Back to School?

Options
  • 24-03-2009 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi All, I've been working as a "software developer" for a family business for the last year. I put software developer in quotes because like all family business everything here is very much "everybody does everything" and it has worked out that the one thing they don't need is a software developer.

I've always been a bit of a tinkerer, so this worked out great from their perspective as I can pretty much throw my hand at anything (software/hardware updates, setting up new email systems, webserver/tomcat/database configuration, designing/coding websites). From my end though I'm becoming more and more worried that the longer I'm here, the further I am from where I would have seen my career go, and I'm not really sure I am actually picking up any new skills that will really help my career in the future.

Over the last couple of months (as things have deteriorated in the jobs market) I have realised that my plan of moving on after a year if things did not work out is not going to be viable and is actually hampered by the "experience" I have had in here. I don't think that I would be able to get a job in development now even if I had been doing anything in that arena while here, so I'm wondering if I should look to further education. I already have a degree and masters, so a bit of hard work isn't out of the question - but it would need to be part-time (so I can finance it).

I had planned to get out of development eventually (just at a higher level) anyway, so perhaps a course that could lead from my IT background (5/6 years at varying levels - the majority in java development) could be useful.

Am I insane to be thinking about this during the big R? Should I just be thankful that I have a job, and ignore what the long term effects of it might be? Any feedback would be welcomed.

Oh, and FYI I'm 30ish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

2 things.

Firstly it sounds to me like you have a chance to develop whatever skills you want in that situation.

Secondly I've been IT , programming , for 8/9 years now and think "developing skills" is something people starting off worry to much about. You'll pick up lots just by working and doing whatever job you have. Picking an area to specialize is fine , but you can get on fine in IT without doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 liddled

InReality wrote: »
    2 things.

Firstly it sounds to me like you have a chance to develop whatever skills you want in that situation.

If I wasn't so busy with the general System's Administration of the company then that might be the case! I have positioned myself so that I have no official role as such - just the fixer. So I guess I can try and get some projects off the ground that might help my position.
    I can't help feeling though that being a jack of all trades and master of none make it a little harder when looking for a job?

Anyway - thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

InReality wrote: »
    2 things.

Secondly I've been IT , programming , for 8/9 years now and think "developing skills" is something people starting off worry to much about. You'll pick up lots just by working and doing whatever job you have. Picking an area to specialize is fine , but you can get on fine in IT without doing that.

I disagree with this a bit. I work heavily with databases, but get almost zero development expirience ( in websites, desktop apps etc). its something that would really add to my cv but if i want it, i wont get it here in my work.

say i go for a db admin/db developer role that requires some .NET dev work. straight away im at a loss. so just working at my job wont help me out here.

just a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Cormb

I'd say get as much experience as possible plus maybe a course at night if thats possible.

At the end of the day, the more valuable you can make yourself to an employer the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 liddled

Cormb wrote: »
    I'd say get as much experience as possible plus maybe a course at night if thats possible.

First of all thank you all for the replies. It's odd that the last poster mentioned a night course - I just decided to do one last night. I'm going to book myself into a night class starting in Sept, and try to learn a couple of things myself on the same timetable until I start it. I had begun doing some bits and pieces in Ruby-on-Rails a few months ago but had to leave it for a while - so I'll start with that and build on it in the course.
    I've passed some of this be management in work and they will support me (in time at least) as they can see how it could be of advantage in the future. So I'm pretty lucky in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

liddled wrote: »
    First of all thank you all for the replies. It's odd that the last poster mentioned a night course - I just decided to do one last night. I'm going to book myself into a night class starting in Sept, and try to learn a couple of things myself on the same timetable until I start it. I had begun doing some bits and pieces in Ruby-on-Rails a few months ago but had to leave it for a while - so I'll start with that and build on it in the course.
    I've passed some of this be management in work and they will support me (in time at least) as they can see how it could be of advantage in the future. So I'm pretty lucky in that regard.

That's probably a good move :D

I work in IT and I've no degree, and am about to start one with the OU part time, like you I'm lucky in that my work appear to be supportive.

Best of luck :D

Advertisement