Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible new poker club in tipperary

Options
  • 24-03-2009 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all,

I am looking into opening a new private poker club somewhere in county tipperary. I have looked at previous posts by others on this and all the feedback seems that it is a hard business to make a profit with and many clubs have opened with little or no success. I was wondering why this was the case. is it because there is a problem at getting numbers in or is it that costs are too high?? I have looked at the figure and it seems viable but am looking for a bit of info on reasons for previous failures!!!

Oh one more issue. Do you need to pay the council for the licence if issued?

Looking forward at hearing some feedback

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

Well the way i see it is there is one in clonmel. That essentially depends a lot on weekend trade for the good games.

Clonmel been the largest town by far in tipperary, id find it hard to see a club working anywhere else.

I guess Nenagh might not have a lot of options poker wise, but then again its not that far from limerick.

I wouldnt dream of trying to start up a club in this current uncertain economic climate. How much experience do you have in the industry, its not a case of just setting up. It would be essential to have good links in the industry.

Edit : there will more likely be new laws introduced soon where only a certain amount of clubs can operate in a certain catchment area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Rod & Reel

Yoddin, club not far from me in tallaght which has been open just over a year struggles to get 1 table on mon tue wed would get 2*7/ 8 player tables on thur and possibly on fri. sat sun can be quiet.
    great for tourneys but very little profit in those.
    3 card tables seldom open, blackjack and the like.

Now having said that the guy who owns it is planning on opening 2 more in and around so maybe hes making enough on the above.

i hear its .6% profit not much room for margin of error in that.

extend the shed 2 tables 1 blackjack table a couple of loos give it 12 months if its making for ya give it a go in town and 2% of ur profit for me for the idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Pulsar Eagle

Yoddin, what exactly do you have in mind???
    Why are you picking Tipperary over anywhere else???
    What places in tipp do you have in mind??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Yoddin

Thanks for the replies all,

Looks like its going to be put on hold for the minute until the new legislation they are proposing is put in place!!!

Cheers

Advertisement