Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Somebody say something...

Options
  • 24-03-2009 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Nobody's posted here in 11 hours :(

Well here's something from Pharyngula.....
    http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2009/03/suspected_criminal_richard_daw.php

It's been confirmed: members of the Oklahoma legislature are investigating the suspicious circumstances of Richard Dawkins' lecture. After all, what possible excuse could UO have for inviting a known rabblerouser who doesn't happen to believe in gods? Other than his reputation as a world-famous scientist, writer, and speaker, of course.

Sure enough, I just received confirmation today in a letter from the Open Records Office at the University of Oklahoma. The letter confirms that on the day of Dawkins' speech, Oklahoma State Representative Rebecca Hamilton requested substantial information relating to the speech from Vice President for Governmental Relations Danny Hilliard. Representative Hamilton's exhaustive request included demands for all e-mails and correspondence relating to the speech; a list of all money paid to Dawkins and the entities, public or private, responsible for this funding; and the total cost to the university, including, among other things, security fees, advertising, and even "faculty time spent promoting this event."

Rick Farmer, the director of committee staff for the Oklahoma House of Representatives, also wrote the University on March 12, requesting confirmation that Dawkins had indeed waived all compensation for the speech.

It's actually too bad that Dawkins waived his fee — he was well within his rights to ask for it, and the university had the right to invest in bringing interesting ideas to campus. The issue is not whether speakers should be paid, it's whether these witch-hunters are overstepping their bounds. Don't like an idea that's being expressed at a university? Call out the hounds and make 'em sweat.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The conservatism of America still suprises me betimes. There was problems with Desmond Tutu last year, when an invitation to speak was - for a time - withdrawn over his comments on Israel. It is rather strange that its that country and the divinity of Jesus which seem to be 'holy cows'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Seems very petty, but that's freedom of information for you. It's the price of living in a democracy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

One would imagine that the Oklahoma legislature would have more pressing things to worry about during the deepest and sharpest recession in seventy years.

Still, there's a fair chance that religion helped put these fine people where they are and the piper must be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Meanwhile, EXPELLED star Ben Stein spoke last fall at the Oklahoma State University to the tune of $60,000, and no one seems to have cared at such an expense to 'the tax payers'

Glad to see their priorities are in order.

http://scienceblogs.com/erv/2009/03/free_speech_for_me_but_not_for.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

if anything, the choice by Dawkins to not require a fee is a boon for evolution tbh. I've seen ID'ers state before that Dawkins is merely in it for the money and riding the coat tails of this recent boom in interest in evolution.

Showing his goal is to teach rather than profit can only help him in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

What really suprised me was she's a democrat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

robindch wrote: »
    One would imagine that the Oklahoma legislature would have more pressing things to worry about during the deepest and sharpest recession in seventy years.

Still, there's a fair chance that religion helped put these fine people where they are and the piper must be paid.

For a country where a large number of people seem to believe that pissing off God has direct consequences in their everyday lives they probably feel this is helping the recession :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

It seems hypocritical. There is no seperation of religion and state in reality in the US. The US irritates me and makes me wonder how in a supposedly enlightened world that basically the biggest bully always gets what she wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

a university paid somebody $60,000 to speak?

• Advertisement

whens the changemeister going stick his boot in on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

a university paid somebody $60,000 to speak?

Big bucks to be made. Clinton made a killing doing the circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I love how the investigation doesn't appear to have any particular stated aim. It's a sort of investigation to see if there's anything worth investigating. Gone fishin'...

Anyhoo, this is your basic violation of the right to free speech. Dawkins, as anyone who speaks in the US, is meant to be free from the threat of investigation on the basis of the subject matter of his speech or his beliefs. Otherwise this sorta thing would basically become a backdoor tactic to limit the speech on the basis of topic. Unless it is used non-selectively, which we can see from Stein's case is not so.

Nodin wrote: »
    Big bucks to be made. Clinton made a killing doing the circuit.

yeah but to students?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

yeah but to students?

Students don't have money, but universities do. Not enough, alas, but still.

Advertisement