Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tucan live review

Options
  • 24-03-2009 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

TUCAN
    Live review

Tucan are a two-piece duo, playing instrumental guitar. They performed at the Sugar Club on the night of the 11th of March. It was a sit down gig with comfy chairs and candles lit on every table with a free bottle of Sol for every person. The venue was perfect for this style of music. The Sol beer promotion was to do with Tucan’s song ‘Karluv Most’, which is being used for the beer’s radio advertisement at the moment. The stage set up was pretty simple; it just had two microphones, two chairs with a backdrop only saying Tucan. This made the gig feel very intimate.
    Moses Moorhouse, the support Act, was singing his own songs with a classical guitar. He had an amazing voice with a good sense of humour that kept the audience engaged. I was happy to see a good support act because it keeps the audience in tune for when the main performers comes on stage making it a great gig. Moses is from Ballyfermot’s Rock School and the gig was organised by a student from the Music Management course Joanne Finn. She has her own promotional company, Horizon Event management & PR. There have been some great musicians to come out of Ballyfermot including Damien Dempsey and Wallis Bird. Moses Moorhouse showed that the Rock School is still reaping in the talent. I hope to hear more from him in the future.
    This gig was mostly advertised in Ballyfermot College so the place consisted of Ballyfermot students, but I think the football match that night put a damper on the turn out. Other than that the audience seemed greatly entertained by the performances and were stunned when Tucan hit the stage.
    Tucan themselves were gracious and worked well together. I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to sit and listen to two lads playing just Spanish guitars and no singing for the night, but the talent and skill of the guitar playing is absolutely amazing that I was riveted throughout the whole gig. I wasn’t bored for one second my eyes just followed the fingers and hand movements up and down their guitars. I couldn’t get enough!
    It was an experience I was delighted to have been apart of. The two Spanish guitarists even played their own version of Irish Trad songs, and also paid tribute to heavy metal bands such as Mega Death and Tool. The best tributes you’ll probably ever hear from two lads just using the one instrument.
    Tucan is made up of Pearse Feeney and Donal Gunne, they have only ever had basic guitar lessons but spent the last ten years perfecting their skills and learning by ear how to play at the level they do now. They played in Electric picnic two years ago and took about 3,000 people by storm. They have recently played support for Alabama 3 when they were touring Ireland. Their debut E.P “System of Strings” was produced by Lance Hogan from the band Kila and they are currently working on their debut album. I’m pretty sure we will be hearing a lot more from them over the year, I completely recommend people to keep a look out for Tucan gigging in their local venues. It’s an experience worth seeing because they really are Irelands answer to Rodrigo y Gabriela.
    Review by Laura McGlynn
    MusicReview Unsigned.com
    Tagged:

Advertisement