Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop using too much Ram

Options
  • 23-03-2009 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Hey all.
    Just wondering if someone can come to my rescue here with my Laptop. It's been running heavily on ram lately (I think, see pic). I've no idea whats causing this. I ran AVG and Adaware scans to see if its something malicious.

Anyways, I was wondering if somebody knew of a program I could run to see what is using all the ram? It's a nightmare!
    I suspect it's either of the 2 anti-virus but i'd like to check it out myself first just in case.
    Pic is from process explorer.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭cooperla

Try Task Manager.

Ctrl+Alt+Del and select Task Manager. It'll show you all the processes running on the computer and how much memory and CPU each process is using

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭esskay

congo_90 wrote: »
    Hey all.

I suspect it's either of the 2 anti-virus.......

Never....ever,ever,ever, use two anti-virus programs on one pc. From my experience there is a large chance that's your problem. Uninstall one of them and see if your performance improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

cooperla wrote: »
    Try Task Manager.

Ctrl+Alt+Del and select Task Manager. It'll show you all the processes running on the computer and how much memory and CPU each process is using

I just tried this. The numbers aren't adding up but so far firefox is using 80mb but still not really accounting for up to 450mb usage.
    esskay wrote: »
    Never....ever,ever,ever, use two anti-virus programs on one pc. From my experience there is a large chance that's your problem. Uninstall one of them and see if your performance improves.

Will do. I'll post up results. gonna get rid of ad-aware as I find it crap anyways!

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Check what programs your running on start-up.
    Start - Run - msconfig - startup tab

It will give a list of programs that load on start up, over the months and years a load of crap programs can get installed and start up in the background. Untick the ones you know you dont want loading up.

There are some that you wont know what they are, and if in doubt, leave it. Under the "command" listing, if its in "c:\program files" its probably going to be something youve installed. Real player, itunes, quicktime, etc, untick those, no point in them loading up for no reason.

Just seen the 2 anti-virus packages there! As said, defo get rid of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Hey all. Done all as advised and cleared a lot of other old programs off the laptop, rebooteds, ran disc clean up and defrag. It's still running high! nearly at the absolute limits at points :( Weird thing is I only recently wiped the HDD completly about ~2months ago. Any more ideas? AVG perhaps? I uninstalled AVG on the last set up as it was a resource pig on this laptop but not so bad now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement