Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No fees for current third level students

Options
  • 23-03-2009 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/idgbcweysn/

"Students already taking part in third level courses will not be liable for fees or any loans system that the Government might introduce, Education Minister Batt O’Keeffe has indicated..."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Any idea if this will extend to people who are going into 2nd or 3rd year of a course? I'm applying for third in Creative Multimedia...

Hmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Not sure,
    I just read the article ... that's as much as I know!

Presume if you're in third level education and transfering college, you should be covered!

As for your course choice - nice one! That's my class :D

Not sure,

As for your course choice - nice one! That's my class :D

OT - sorry..

Really? What year are you going in to? I don't know anyone doing the course at the moment and 'm kind of feeling a bit in at the deep end..

I'll be in your class.
    I'm going into third year next year too!

Everyone's pretty sound, so you'll easily fit in and get on with people!

What college are you in at the moment?

The course is pretty good - not that much academics, more hands-on, practical stuff!
    Not that many hours either ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Fees were never going to come back (directly) for existing students. A student who has already started a third level course with 'free fees' has a 'legitimate expectation' that they will be able to complete the course under the scheme. The bad publicity and (likely successful) legal challenges wouldn't be worth it for the government.

Of course that won't stop them from clawing back some more by allowing the Universities to set a €1500 'registration fee' that will come out of the pockets of all non-grant recipients.

• Advertisement

@pikachucheeks - I'm just finishing a 2 yr full time HND in Digital Media in Ballyfermot. I'll be concentrating on that and photography - self taught in that up till now but kind of semi-pro :)

So technically I'm in 2nd level, but I'm assuming that'll count when it comes to fees or not. Mind you, as long as they're still means testing (god I hope it doesn't get THAT bad!) I'll be ok?

Feckin stupid recession.. Looking forward to starting though :)

Yeah!
    It'll be fun!

Photography buddies! :D

All the best people in my course are choosing that module! Haha!

Advertisement