Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4GB usb key not recognised by vista after re-install

Options
  • 23-03-2009 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

Vista home prem (new install on new hard drive)
    Dell inspiron 1721

1GB, 2GB key fine, but when i use my 4GB usb key, vista sees it as a disk drive and when i click on it, asks me to "insert a disk" ! :confused:

This key works fine on other laptop, and used to work on this laptop before it died and i had to re-install new hard drive!

Tried deleting key from deivce manager, reboot, but same thing!!
    Anyone come across this before?
    Any ideas at all please ??:o

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Try formating the 4Gb drive, remember to backup what ever you have on it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭magconn

Nope, cant do that either, tried! "Windows unable to complete format"

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Format it on your other pc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

+ 1 to trying to format it on another computer

I will help narrow down if the problem is with the thumbdrive (very likely) or your Vista machine.

Also check if the drive letter allocation is causing a conflict.

Ah, wont work on that one now either. Must be fecked ! for the bin i'd say, thanks anyway. Typical, first the dell laptop then the dell supplied usb key !! HMMMM
    Thanks again

• Advertisement

+ 1 to trying to format it on another computer

I will help narrow down if the problem is with the thumbdrive (very likely) or your Vista machine.

Also check if the drive letter allocation is causing a conflict.

Thanks voodoo, putting down to usb drive i think. on ebay now for a new one ! :D
    Cheers

Advertisement