Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Broadband to go on Ubuntu

Options
  • 23-03-2009 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Anyone know if I can get Meteor Broadband to go to work on Ubuntu?.

Ken

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Just plug in the USB modem, it should prompt you to choose a phone operator, if not, fill in the details and connect..

Most of the Huawei USB modems are supported now.. at a guess, your modem is the Huawei E180? (which Meteor have in all their ads touting the service..)

Huawei E180: http://www.huawei.com/mobileweb/en/products/view.do?id=1300

Just as an aside, it is funny to note it is quicker and easier to get the USB modems working under Ubuntu than it is under Windows..

---

My details for the 3 Network are like this:

SMS Center: +353830000800

Number: *99#

APN: 3ireland.ie

APN: Static

IP: Dynamic

---

Your settings will be similar, except for your own network, it is very easy to set up..

Ask on the 'Midband' forums for the settings, here on boards, someone will assist you for certain.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1147

---

In Ubuntu, the following should get you set.

Number: *99#

APN: broadband.mymeteor.ie

---

If you have a PIN for your data SIM, remember to enter that too, in the offered dialogue box.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭corkie

ubuntuforums link

If you haven't bought it yet, make sure to tell the store under circumstance you intend to use it! Most staff will tell you that can't provide help for this OS. (not familiar with OS etc).

If you don't have a windows/mac machine or access to one! Some of these devices need to be activated or registered through the default software with the network, before they will function in Linux.

Ask in store for them to activate device before you leave (or pay for it!)

Regards,
    J.

Activated in store for the 3 Network (Pay as you Go), my Huawei E169 works like a champ under Ubuntu.

My main concern is I think Meteor force the use of a SIM PIN, which I didn't have with the 3 Network.

The drivers under Windows are slow to connect\reconnect, Modem sometimes seen as 'busy', never had that issue under Linux.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Amalgam wrote: »
    My main concern is I think Meteor force the use of a SIM PIN, which I didn't have with the 3 Network.

They don't force it, they just have it turned on by default where 3 have it turned off. You should be able to turn off the pin through the software or put the sim in a phone and do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Moyet

Thanks Guy , I got it working finally, It seems I'll need to find some SMS application though as I'm a pay as you go user , and need the SMS functionality working. Apart from that it's working fine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭corkie

Moyet wrote: »
    Thanks Guy , I got it working finally, It seems I'll need to find some SMS application though as I'm a pay as you go user , and need the SMS functionality working. Apart from that it's working fine now.

For SMS application, see Vodafone Mobile Connect Card driver for Linux. Haven't used it in a while, should work with your modem and network. Just need to put correct apn and settings for sms.

Regards,
    J.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ozymandius

Ubuntu Jaunty (9.04) which is now a well settled beta works with the E180 out-of-the-box. No modeswitch messing. You will, of course, have to enter your PAN etc. Worked in Intrepid (8.10) too, but even smoother now.

Only downside is that SD slot doesn't work.

Just plug it in!

Can't recall now whether I had run it under Windows before Ubuntu though.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Hey all.

I have an issue with using Meteor To Go on Ubuntu (10.04). I can connect fine, but I am directed to the webscreen that tells me I need to access the "Meteor To Go Manager Screen". How do I access this in Ubuntu? Where is it located?

Is there Meteor software I need to install to get it working?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 ManatArms

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with an SMS Manager for Ubuntu 10.04 with Meter Broadband to go? I can connect to the network no problem but obviously can't topup without a connection manager program.

I tried using the betavine connection manager but the damn thing won't run at all since I first installed it. Losing the will to live at this point. Any ideas...?

Advertisement