Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron 1720 - Upgrade RAM

Options
  • 23-03-2009 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi,

Just a quick question to those more knowledgeable than me about hardware. I've got a Dell Inspiron 1720. When I bought it, I got it with 3GB of RAM. (3072MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [1x2048+1x1024])

I've been considering upgrading it to 4GB, which, unless I'm mistaken, means taking out the 1GB module and replacing it with a 2GB model.

I've traced the manuals for the model online, linked here: https://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1720/en/om_en/pdf/DT5494MR.pdf

It seems that the laptop has 2 memory slots - 1 under the keyboard, and one at the back.

I'm just wondering if I'm correct in all of my above assumptions (re: replacing the 1GB module) and then also if anyone would have any idea whether the 1GB module is under the keyboard, or in the back (to save me opening up one or the other unnecessarily)?

If anyone has any guidance also on the compatible memory types (something which I'm still very hazy on, tbh) and any advice on changing it, I'd really appreciate it..

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

What operating system are you using?

If it's 32-bit, then the max ram addressable by the system is 4GB, and some of those addresses will be already reserved for various piece of hardware, graphics card etc. So the result is that that the max ram 'usable' (by the OS) is ~ 3.5GB, or less depending on the system (GPU memory size etc).

So you might find upgrading from 3Gb to 4Gb makes very little difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

I'm using Vista 32 bit (should have said so in my first post, <slaps forehead>).

My computer isn't slow and runs things quite well, I was just considering an upgrade. That said, if it'll make no (or negligable) difference, then there's probably not much point in going through the hassle, to be honest...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Kila wrote: »
    I'm using Vista 32 bit (should have said so in my first post, <slaps forehead>).

My computer isn't slow and runs things quite well, I was just considering an upgrade. That said, if it'll make no (or negligable) difference, then there's probably not much point in going through the hassle, to be honest...

To be honest, i wouldn't bother with the upgrade, as voodoo said, you'll hardly notice any difference with a 32bit OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

Cool. Reckon I'll leave it so.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement