Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia E51 post-unlocking questions.

Options
  • 23-03-2009 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭

Thought the unlocking thread wasn't quite the right place for this:

I have a Nokia E51 locked to Meteor that I'm waiting on an unlock code for. I haven't really had a play with the phone yet, nor have I had the need to unlock a phone in the past. Just wondering, once it's unlocked, will I still have Meteor branding and shortcuts all over the phone? Will a firmware update get rid of all this?

I will be using a 3 bill pay sim in it. I presume I'll have to manually enter all the message settings and 3g access stuff. Is this info available anywhere handy or will it require a search through 100+ page long threads on Boards?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

milltown wrote: »
    Thought the unlocking thread wasn't quite the right place for this:

I have a Nokia E51 locked to Meteor that I'm waiting on an unlock code for. I haven't really had a play with the phone yet, nor have I had the need to unlock a phone in the past. Just wondering, once it's unlocked, will I still have Meteor branding and shortcuts all over the phone? Will a firmware update get rid of all this?

I will be using a 3 bill pay sim in it. I presume I'll have to manually enter all the message settings and 3g access stuff. Is this info available anywhere handy or will it require a search through 100+ page long threads on Boards?
    Network unlocking your handset will have no bearing on the shortcuts or firmware on the handset. You are right though regarding the firmware question; flashing a non-branded version should suffice in ridding yourself of any network branding.

The E51 has the option of reading the message centre number from the sim, so you shouldn’t need the enter it in manually. If you do though, you should find this thread useful, which will also assist with the APN settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

D'oh!
    That is a v.handy sticky, thanks.
    Last question (for now anyway). Is the firmware DIY updatable? Or is it a job to pay a shop to do?

milltown wrote: »
    D'oh!
    That is a v.handy sticky, thanks.
    Last question (for now anyway). Is the firmware DIY updatable? Or is it a job to pay a shop to do?

You can do it yourself with ease, as shown here. Just remember to backup any personal content such as pictures, music, video content etc before updating the firmware.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Rsaeire wrote: »
    You can do it yourself with ease, as shown here. Just remember to backup any personal content such as pictures, music, video content etc before updating the firmware.

This will still be meteor branded after the firmware. It will be unlocked, but the product code will be meteors so still a meteor phone essentially. You could change it if you really wanted to, but its not necessary. When you switch over you can manually enter the 3 settings or send them to your phone from HERE

Davy wrote: »
    This will still be meteor branded after the firmware. It will be unlocked, but the product code will be meteors so still a meteor phone essentially. You could change it if you really wanted to, but its not necessary.

Yes you're right, using the method in my last post would mean the handset would remain Meteor branded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Thanks for all the replies lads. Plenty to go on there for me. :D

Advertisement