Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cant get signal im camper

Options
  • 23-03-2009 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

I have tried the sky box in the camper it has a dish on top and solar panels,cannot get any signal:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I have tried the sky box in the camper it has a dish on top and solar panels,cannot get any signal:mad:

What kind of dish is it? Is it suitable to use with a sky box? How did you align it (by handor is it electrically driven?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

couldnt tell you what type but tried to align it by hand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

couldnt tell you what type but tried to align it by hand

That's your problem. It is nearly impossible to aign a dish by hand with some sort of reference like a satellite compass, or a digital satellite finder. You need to align it to the same direction as the dish on your house and then use the signal strength indicator from the sky box to tune it in. But remember there will be a time lag when you move the dish and when you will see any change on the signal strenth indicator. Also the movements you need to make are tiny and there is a very small difference between the position of the dish for the Astra 2A and 2B satellites. You need to be aligned with the 2B. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

This is a great site for sat info http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/

I have my dish on a tripod and never have any trouble aligning by hand without a finder.... bit trickier on the roof though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

thanks for the advice,will let ye know how we get on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jmu

most people have signal problems no matter what part of the country you are in. I,ve seen guys spending hours and hours getting the dish in the right place, but with little success. If you were in cental europe on holiday, the reception would be better,because the satelite is positioned higher in the sky. In ireland however, the best signal is literally along the horizon, or treetop height. So being surround by trees or buildings is a no no. Through the experiences i've had the unit you have makes all difference. At the moment LIDL have a system called SilverCrest Digital Camping Satelite System, and on sale from thursday 23 April. The cost is 89.99 euros, and its a unit that works a treat. The dish is a handy size, and comes with a satelite direction locating compass, to steer you in the right direction to receive your free to air stations. Hope this info helps you along. Happy pointing, jmu.

Advertisement