Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silage in March!

• 23-03-2009 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

Surely the first cut of silage in Ireland this year?!?! 83 bales baled, wrapped and stacked on Saturday 21st march 2009, just outside Clane, Co. Kildare. Never thought i'd see the day!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Surely the first cut of silage in Ireland this year?!?! 83 bales baled, wrapped and stacked on Saturday 21st march 2009, just outside Clane, Co. Kildare. Never thought i'd see the day!

There was a picture on last week's journal of a guy baling silage in waterford last monday march 16th.

Your silage doesn't look like great quality. Looks like grass that was not cut from last year with an old while sole on it. Would love to know the DMD of it. Would bet a hapenny on it that it isn't the minimum 65% that is recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

seen that in the paper..i'd b unsure if the silage would be gd quality, as in dry matter! feeding value!

it would hav to be reseeded ground,that was not grazed since summer time, to get a crop now!

as from what little i know--grass is normally dormant in the winter months..with little groeth etc..mayb i'm wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

reilig wrote: »
    There was a picture on last week's journal of a guy baling silage in waterford last monday march 16th.

Ah flip, are you serious? Didn't spot that one. They beat us to it! Yeah the grass was fairly crap, there since last year, can't imagine there'll be any feeding value in it at all but you know yourself, the customer is always right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

a new way of storing dung what will they think of next.

leg wax wrote: »
    a new way of storing dung what will they think of next.

Yeah, a new, very expensive way of storing it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

an expensive way of storing dung, at that!
    grass quality will be brutal--until aleast may..for silage production in my eyes!
    need sugar levels,etc up!

probably recommended by teagasc

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

83 bales baled, wrapped and stacked on Saturday 21st march 2009, just outside Clane, Co. Kildare

FFS :eek:, so he was serious about cutting silage this early,

any problems with ground conditions trying to draw them, I see the usual suspects on the job :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭adne

an absolute waste of time..... bales of s**te

FFS :eek:, so he was serious about cutting silage this early,

any problems with ground conditions trying to draw them, I see the usual suspects on the job :rolleyes:

No, ground conditions were grand. Actually the afternoon was like a summers day, dusty yard, you'd swear it was july or something! it was a fair oul spin drawing them from the far side of naas but he had 4 trailers on the go (including not too bad!). The boss had him talked out of it until Mr. Lynch came along and convinced him to wrap them! He should get a job with Teagasc!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭hurler007

A fool and his money are easily parted!

hurler007 wrote: »
    A fool and his money are easily parted!
    hes a farmer what else would u expect:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

why on earth would anyone do silage this early???????????

Seinas wrote: »
    why on earth would anyone do silage this early???????????

He was renting ground for the summer and it hadn't been cut last year so he wanted it cleaned up and he toook a chance on wrapping it

Advertisement