Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business not to start, right now

Options
  • 23-03-2009 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭

With everyone trying to find the next big thing when trying to start a new business, I‘m starting this thread wondering what business to avoid during the big recession. Here’s a few to get started with.

Construction and related businesses
    Builder’s providers
    Furniture and lighting stores
    Music Shops
    Video Stores
    Rural pubs,

Feel free to disagree with any or add a few of your own.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

Car dealers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

most luxury style busines/service will likely take a hit in a recession

ferrari hasnt really been hit though,it seems evryone whos filthy rich enough to buy a ferrari isnt going to worry about any silly recession

bmw have had a bad slump i heard

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

fashion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Coffee Shops and Resturants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 hedgehog33

Stretch Limo hire
    (at least I hope we will see less of them, so tacky :p)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

For someone with time and some money, don't rule out any of the obvious. Starting a luxury (as opposed to essential) service isn't such a bad idea. it will take 2-3 yerars for it to work, but meantime, some of the competition will melt away. Put yourself in a position ready for the upturn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

Car valeting.

I did my own yesterday. 2 hours with 80's music on the radio brought me right back to my first car and first recession ... :D
    What a joy it was to sing along to The Jam and Going Underground. (link to songwords)

Weller's writing somehow seems apt 25 years on ... in a nostalgic, deja vu, look wtf's happening today sort of way ...

What you see is what you get
    You've made your bed, you better lie in it
    You choose your leaders and place your trust
    As their lies wash you down and their promises rust

And then Down in the Tube Station at Midnight. That's a song about a guy being mugged for those of you who don't know it. A bit like how I've felt recently. :rolleyes:

All the while the only difference between yesterday afternoon and 25 years ago was the 4 year old who was bugging me ... and for some reason kept calling me Daddy. ;) That and vacuuming the floor of a nice BMW Coupe instead of washing the crappy plastic lino sh*te on a Toyota Lite-Ace. :)

Car looks great by the way. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Estate agents and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,034 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Paying taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

delllat wrote: »
    most luxury style busines/service will likely take a hit in a recession

ferrari hasnt really been hit though,it seems evryone whos filthy rich enough to buy a ferrari isnt going to worry about any silly recession

bmw have had a bad slump i heard
    Real luxury items/services are ok as the very rich will still spend on them. It's the middle classes getting lashed by this recession.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭sm.org

C stores in ridiculous locations , there's about 12 of these closing a month.

Some of the weaker franchises like O'Briens and Quiznos , personally I'd run a mile from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    With everyone trying to find the next big thing when trying to start a new business, I‘m starting this thread wondering what business to avoid during the big recession. Here’s a few to get started with.

Construction and related businesses
    Builder’s providers
    Furniture and lighting stores
    Music Shops
    Video Stores
    Rural pubs,

Feel free to disagree with any or add a few of your own.

BER Energy Assessor. The country was in need of 1000 assessors max. There are currently twice that amount and no work for them as this government are unable to enforce there own law!

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, Taxi'ing..............Dublin has more than the Big Apple! LOL - some fcuking country we live in....

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

while that may be true, they're not on the road 24/7 unlike new york.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

Pixelcraft wrote: »
    while that may be true, they're not on the road 24/7 unlike new york.

taxis are better value in NY as well

They smell of weee sometimes tho'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭mealone43

Investment banker
    Mortgage Store
    DIY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

priest hood is the only safe job at the minute and the church is mad to hire,

seems funny that when priests got it left right and center in good times for their wrong doings i know

and in economically bad times its a guarunteed job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭byrne0f56789

It generally takes a couple of years to develop a start-up and build a client base. The thing about today is that you can start a business cheaper than a year and a half ago. If you keep your costs in check you might be able to generate survivable returns during this recession. I definitely agree that there are many businesses that just won't work right now. However, if someone looks at it from a long term perspective and can stick it out during the recession they will be in a great position come boom time.

Advertisement