Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD first time build - gaming & audio production

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Regarding RAM, check this offer out - €30 less and less voltage required, but nearly identical latencies :)

Where's that XFX? Does it have a shroud? Sapphire version doesn't, but is cheaper and has some odd p-states so if you need a card that's quiet when idling this may be it.

That PSU strikes me as iffy value unless you're that desperate for Corsair + modular. Unless you want a major OC and intend to go Crossfire eventually you'd be better with a decent 550W Corsair/Antec/Odin (first is unirail, last has power monitoring and is modular, all are high quality) for a lot less money.

And how many places are you buying from? All those delivery charges will jack the price up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 heliopause

Thanks for the reply Solitaire.

Heres the xfx 4850:
    http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=5F16&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=4850&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

It takes up 2 slots and uses one of them as an exhaust for the hot air so it wont increase the case temp.

I'm buying from komplett and Dabs at the moment and delivery is coming to €36 in total. I'll look into those psus aswell but I cant find the odin on either site.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Aha. I knew the XFX HD4830 had a shroud (only HD4830 that does actually!) but I didn't know about the HD4850.

As for PSUs, well Komplett seem to have jacked Corsair prices through the roof over the last couple of months - the 450W is now more expensive than the 550W was in January! :( And as for modular pedigree PSUs, well, I did see this sweet (if time-limited) deal ;) AFAIK this model is actually the first unirail Seasonic PSU but the datasheet still reads as having four rails because its not that long ago that Intel claimed that having more than 18A on a single rail was TEH EVILS and anyone doing so would be burned at the stake (they eventually recanted that statement, mostly because everyone told them to get stuffed :D)

There's also the Coolermaster 620W but while cheaper its out of stock until next month. If you could sacrifice modular there's also Corsair TX650 and Silencer 610 going for €90 a pop :) And those are at the extreme high-end of what you need; you'd probably get away with a good 550W just fine. Unfortunately I'm guessing that only OCUK have the Odins in stock at the moment :rolleyes:

Advertisement