Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Words on the Screen

Options
  • 23-03-2009 2:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭

This happened to me sometime last week, and I'm not really sure it happened. I was in work, sitting infront of a computer. I was looking up some information on a customer's account, and sometimes, below the customer's name, there is a field you can input data into - Special Instructions.

Usually in this field you'd put your own initials or something, just to show whose doing it etc. Well, I was at the desk on my own, and I read the section. It said "kill". I swear as I am sitting here now writing this down, that's how I saw it. I wasn't freaked out or anything I thought it was a joke maybe somebody had written it for the laugh, so I cancelled out of the Order and came back, and it was gone. The program we use in work is quite old and isn't nice to look at, just text on a screen, very basic.

I was sure I had read it but, what the **** like? Why wasn't it there when I came back to it? It could have possible been changed by someone else, but so quickly? It's like that episode of the X-Files were people start going crazy and killing people after seeing wierd messages come from mobile phones or computers and stuff. I guess it must have had something to do with the fact that I'd been sick recently...maybe it was my subconscious. But I know that I stared at that word for atleast a minute.

Has something like this ever happened to anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 JustEnough

Maybe one of the lads in the IT dept did it for a laugh. Its possible to "shadow" any user, meaning they can view and control any pc from their own pc.

I've done similar things in the past, its funny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

You don't work in a post office, do you? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Mystery solved! Somebody with the name Killian entered Kill for short! What a relief! I thought I was going nuts! And noo, not a post office. Imagine if I did and this was for real - I can see the headlines now "Post Office Worker kills 7, says Computer made him do it."

Advertisement