Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing an American wife(+family) into Ireland?

Options
  • 22-03-2009 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

My pregnant wife and I are looking at moving back to Ireland in the coming weeks and I'm wondering exactly what paperwork needs to be filed and where (if?) she needs to be registered as a resident upon arrival in the country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

All she has to do is go to your local garda station. Fill out a form and they will stamp it, then she can work legally in ireland. As you are irish it is very different compared to moving to the states for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭bridget.laitly

As an American wife of an Irish fella I can testify to how painless immigrating to Ireland has been.
    As the post above states, I brought my passport and a copy of my marriage cert plus some other ID (incl his birth cert and himself) to the GNIB office and walked out with a residence visa and GNIB card same day.
    I've been living and working here for 3.5 years with no problem whatsoever... can only hope that things will be half as easy when(if?) we move to the US.

OP, how was your experience going the other way?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

as the irish fella of an american wife i can testify as
    to how painful the process was, dealing with the only
    garda attached to the gnib in our district...took nearly 4
    months to finally get the registration card.....he was only available
    after 10pm on a wednesday night, had never heard of the
    card scheme and only asked for the relevant paperwork each time the bureau sent the incomplete application back to him...to say he was learning on the job is an understatment!
    have been back 8+ years now and still wonder if everything is
    above board:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Bridget: I am the Irish wife of an American, and after 3.5 years in Ireland, we just moved the other way, to be close to his family in Arkansas. It involved quite a bit of paperwork, and some 1500 in visa and medical costs, but was an easy process overall, and took 6 weeks- it's much easier and faster to get a US spousal visa when the couple lives together abroad, as you can file directly with the embassy rather than go via the USCIS.

Advertisement