Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HE grants and PhD funding together?

Options
  • 22-03-2009 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello, Im wondering if anyone here who knows about grant regulations can help me with this problem. I didnt find any mention of it on my county council site.

I am presently in the final year of my bachelors and have claimed a local authority higher education grant every year at the full maintainence rate.I understand that this is also available to postgraduates for one postgraduate level degree but I would like to accept a privately funded phd position for next year which covers both fees and a salary.

Is it possible to still claim the local authority grant on top of the funding? I will certainly be in the correct income bracket since the first year will depend on an assessment of my parents income in 2008 and then my own income in 2009 onwards for the 2nd and consecutive years .....but i have a feeling I heard somewhere that the grant is only payable to the amount quoted minus the value of any other scholarship received.

Thanks!

Comments

There's a limit as to how much you can receive in your funding for the PhD, but if (based on this year, not next) you're under €16,000 you could apply for funding for the PhD for up to 4 years. That is, if it's still in a public college and all that.

I think you receive something like €16,002 from IRCSET which purposefully sets you over the limit, which would be pretty annoying.

Advertisement