Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel/Living in Holland/Germany

Options
  • 22-03-2009 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of the coastline specifically. Dunno much about Germany but love Holland. Anyone done travel or lived here? I'm wondering quite how possible it is to get by with no Dutch initially, and whether there is much employment there, and how hard it is to set up abroad?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'll move this to Living Abroad as it seems you're looking at something more longterm.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,257 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Don't know about Holland, but you will DEFINITELY need German if you hit the German coast.

Berlin is fun, cheap and has plenty of lakes.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

Affable wrote: »
    I'm thinking of the coastline specifically. Dunno much about Germany but love Holland. Anyone done travel or lived here? I'm wondering quite how possible it is to get by with no Dutch initially, and whether there is much employment there, and how hard it is to set up abroad?

If you're going to be outside of the major cities then you'd want a bit of Dutch alright, or you'd need to pick it up swiftly enough after arriving. The recession is becoming more evident by the day here but unemployment is still pretty low, it depends really on what kind of work you'd be looking for and again on the area and your Dutch language skills. Bar work or working in agriculture for example is not too hard to come by and doesn't usually need Dutch, same goes for some office work like call centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

You're best off to look at the international offices like EPO, eurojust, europol, ESA and energy and oil companies like eon and shell. These are all in or around the Hague, noordwijk and Rotterdam which are all close to the coast. Also try uitzendbureaus like unique mls, tempo team, bluelynx and circo for jobs......

Hope this helps but the recession is here too and unless you get something permanent, as oppose to a temporary contract position, they will shaft you without a second thought.

Good luck but remember it's extremely different to how it works at home AND there's no Barry's.....

Advertisement