Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookshelf makers?

Options
  • 22-03-2009 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

I've taken a look through the forum, but haven't seen any recommendations.

I'm looking for a set of bookshelves of a particular size. Oddly I'm not finding anything I like in shops. I'd like something about 4 feet long, 3 feet high, and a few inches deep (can make up precise drawings and measurements). I'm not particularly fussed about the kind of wood it's made from as long as it can hold books :). It doesn't need to be fancy - a rectangle with shelves and uprights for stability is pretty much it.

I asked for a quote in the past and they were talking about €4000, which screamed to me that they just couldn't be bothered doing it. I'd nearly build it myself (except I have no tools or space), I don't think it would be particularly complicated. Can anyone recommend someone I could contact for quotes in the Dublin area?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Thread moved from DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

4,000... well that seems silly alright.... it could be ten times as expensive as it needs to be or more.!

Have you checked on www.furniture.ie for a list of cabinet makers in your area.. one of these should be able to help.

Or one of the lads here.. I mean, a bookcase.. it has to be among the most simple items to make... it's simply a few sides and a few shelves.. now it is true that you could go overboard and make it very fancy from some exotic hardwood, but even that could be done for less than half of what you've been quoted.

Are you sure it was 4,000 and not 400?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

looks like there are some posts in the woodcraft thread for carpenters looking for work. Have you had a chat to any of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Thoie wrote: »
    I've taken a look through the forum, but haven't seen any recommendations.

I'm looking for a set of bookshelves of a particular size. Oddly I'm not finding anything I like in shops. I'd like something about 4 feet long, 3 feet high, and a few inches deep (can make up precise drawings and measurements). I'm not particularly fussed about the kind of wood it's made from as long as it can hold books :). It doesn't need to be fancy - a rectangle with shelves and uprights for stability is pretty much it.

I asked for a quote in the past and they were talking about €4000, which screamed to me that they just couldn't be bothered doing it. I'd nearly build it myself (except I have no tools or space), I don't think it would be particularly complicated. Can anyone recommend someone I could contact for quotes in the Dublin area?

If you had of been around my neck of the woods I'd have snapped this off you in a flash. but alas you're too far away! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

If you had of been around my neck of the woods I'd have snapped this off you in a flash. but alas you're too far away! :rolleyes:

Hmm, let me go measure my car...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

4k good grief:eek: sounds about 10X what it should be, you could have it all in solid Walnut for a fifth of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

I could give u a quote and drawings if you would like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I could give u a quote and drawings if you would like?

Whereabouts are you (or is the clue in the name?). I've been ill for a few days, so haven't been able to measure the car, but unfortunately Galway is a bit far for my car to travel. I'll do up some drawings and post them up here when I'm up and about a bit more.

Until then, here's an extremely awful skecth of the kind of thing I'm thinking about (except with straight lines and stuff).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

ya that would be no problem to make at all...

Advertisement