Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did everyone get on this season?

Options
  • 22-03-2009 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

Well? How was everyone's season?

We finished mid table but I had a really fun season, only one game left next Sunday!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭chrussell

We've games coming out of our ears!!! but we're mid-table and have a cup final this saturday against campbellians in from Belfast in the Irish Challenge Trophy!! I play for Mullingar by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

Good season, hopefully promotion/league winners. Not a very prestigous division tho! Mullingar mens teams seem to be doing very well in Div 4 and 7 good work. .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

dragonkin wrote: »
    Mullingar mens teams seem to be doing very well in Div 4 and 7 good work. .

Because they play all their home games on shale. It's a joke, they'll usually win most of their home games to confirm safety.
    We drew our home game with them this year, no idea how, they were muck, and we played the worst I've seen the team play all season.

Play for Glenanne myself, the team went the last two season unbeaten in the league, winning two titles in a row.
    however we lost about 6 of our players to injury, travelling etc so it's mid table mediocrity this year.

We're in the final of the U21 Cup though so every cloud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

It is annoying having to play on grit pitches... let's see how North Kildare do in Ladies Division 2 next season, you ain't allowed play on grit in Div. 2.

Just one thing to remember though, everybody who wants to play hockey should be allowed! If a grit pitch is all that's available to a team, I guess that's life. A lot of clubs are working hard fundraising to build pitches though which is great!

It does annoy me when clubs train on astros and the play their home games on grit as an advantage, it isn't really fair...

Shale shouldn't be allowed. Period.

If they want to play hockey still they should merge with a nearby club.
    I derive absolutely no enjoyment from playing on shale, always feels like a waste of a day

• Advertisement

Well Glenn's pitch is pretty poor at the mo', played on it a couple of weeks ago. I especially like the gaps in the turf down the far end of the pitch on the left side of the circle :P

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

I agree that grit is horrible to play on and changes the game completly but astros cost a lot of money and I doubt mullingar has enough money to build their own and seeing as all sports capital grants have been cut they'll have to fundraise all the money themselves.

I'm sure that given an option they would definitly prefer to play on an astroturf as the game is so much better, even though you might think they enjoy an unfair advantage playing on grit. I know Wilsons Hospital school is near Mullingar but I'm not sure if they have an astro or plans to build one.

Just because a club can't afford to build an astro doesn't mean they should be excluded from playing!

Just because a club can't afford to build an astro doesn't mean they should be excluded from playing!

Exactly!

tywy wrote: »
    Well Glenn's pitch is pretty poor at the mo', played on it a couple of weeks ago. I especially like the gaps in the turf down the far end of the pitch on the left side of the circle :P

I know, it's a joke. But there's nothing we can do to stop scumbags getting in an cutting sections up in the middle of the night. They set it on fire last year sure and sprayed grafitti all over it.
    We generally have to have volunteers out once every two months to keep the pitch in some semblance of order.
    The worst is on the top of both D's where the stopper will be for shorts, big holes cut away so the ball often bobbles away.

I'm not saying they should build one. Just get the use of one or merge with a club who has one.
    Playing on shale is terrible and the standard of hockey is always terrible because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

tywy wrote: »
    It does annoy me when clubs train on astros and the play their home games on grit as an advantage, it isn't really fair...

I don't think this is a deliberate ploy by clubs that use shale pitches for their home games, nearly all shale pitches have little or no lighting so these clubs usually have to use well-lit astro pitches for midweek training by necessity:)

• Advertisement

vektarman wrote: »
    I don't think this is a deliberate ploy by clubs that use shale pitches for their home games, nearly all shale pitches have little or no lighting so these clubs usually have to use well-lit astro pitches for midweek training by necessity:)

Thus my point is that they should use these same astro's for matches also.

Advertisement