Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too many choices? Better than none!

Options
  • 22-03-2009 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm having some serious mental-tennis problems at the minute about what the hell I'll do after graduating from my BA. I am interested in Irish and have a lot of different things I can do next year.

My main ambition would be to do a PhD, too big for my boots, maybe, but I have some ideas that have not been touched at all in Irish that need to be touched upon through research. There are funding oppurtunities in my University but those scholarships are incredibly competitive (I would rank second/ third in my BA class, and I'm certain the number one girl is going to continue with research as well, making the competition harder!). IRCHSS is not an option as I missed out on it, and would prefer to work next year while doing the M.Litt.

Another option I have is teaching Irish in Canada on a year scholarship. I doubt many have signed up for the programme (it's that Irish Canaidan fellowship programme, I'm sure y'all have seen posters!), and I would say (in a non-self-absored way) that I'd have a real chance to get it. Thing is I've lived in Canada for a year before, not sure if I want to go back, but it would be a different city, with a good amount of money (1500 a month, plus free rent and subsidised college canteen).

My other possibility would be moving institution and going to UCD or Galway. Not sure if I want to do that, but I'm getting sick of my current university in a social way... I also think maybe getting into a new University would give me a chance to see what working with other lecturers would be like. My University is great, but the lecturers aren't exactly taken with the subject matter I want to explore... But they are incredibly encouraging and would do anything for you to stay (not in a pathetic way).

I hate this whole graduating business.. Everything is becoming confusing and information isn't as easy to get as it was in Leaving Cert.

Any suggestions? Anybody want to plan my next five years for me? ha!

Thanks,

rletter

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Only if you plan my next five years for me! Hopefully (in a weird way) these decisions will be taken out of your hands to an extent...it's the way I rely on my decisions getting made. I have a similar problem myself trying to decide between further study after my MA and a really good job opportunity I've put myself forward for.

The PhD will always be available to you if you decide to go to Canada for 12 months, and it will give you a chance to firm up funding proposals for next year. With that said though, you don't really sound too keen on Canada...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Well, if you want to do a PhD, you'll need to find a supervisor who is interested in your topic so it looks like you will have to move to a different uni. You should look at the staff profiles on the websites of UCD and Galway, figure out if any of them have an interest in your topic and get in contact. You should also attend any academic conferences that are on while you're doing your M.Litt - they're a good chance to meet and discuss with lecturers and researchers from other colleges.

I don't understand what you mean by saying you've missed out on the IRCHSS - you can apply for it more than once so you could try again next year. The others unis you are interested in might have scholarships on offer too - try to find out!

Go n-éirí leat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Another option I have is teaching Irish in Canada on a year scholarship. I doubt many have signed up for the programme (it's that Irish Canaidan fellowship programme, I'm sure y'all have seen posters!), and I would say (in a non-self-absored way) that I'd have a real chance to get it.
    Do this, or something like this. I think going straight from a BA (or via a masters) into a PhD is generally not a great idea. Go away, work, travel, get some experience (and new ideas!) and than come back and do your PhD, you'll be better equipped to deal with it me thinks.

Advertisement