Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to go a clone/ghost type backup of my pc...

Options
  • 22-03-2009 1:54pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I had to reinstall ym XP pc the other day as it was giving me problems. I usally do this every 6 months or so. It takes me many hours to get my pc back to the way I want it with settings etc, and its a pain.

What I'd like to do is be able to make an exact copy of the hard drive that I can save to anotehr hard drive (I have 2 in the pc, one partitioned in 2) - so that in future I can just restore the image and not have to bother doing the reinstall evey time..

How is this done?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Zascar wrote: »
    I had to reinstall ym XP pc the other day as it was giving me problems. I usally do this every 6 months or so. It takes me many hours to get my pc back to the way I want it with settings etc, and its a pain.

What I'd like to do is be able to make an exact copy of the hard drive that I can save to anotehr hard drive (I have 2 in the pc, one partitioned in 2) - so that in future I can just restore the image and not have to bother doing the reinstall evey time..

How is this done?
    Thanks

Hey,

Its pretty simple.
    I prefer using Acronis True Image which you can fine here:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/

But there are other free/open source alternatives that you can use.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Does this work with Vista too?

I'm having an extremely irritating power management problem and the goons at Dell insist that a re-install of the OS is the only way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Does this work with Vista too?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

You could also setup an unattended windows installation. It would make your installation less of a pain. If you do a google search for it there are very detailed instructions on it but it is very straight forward. Still though ghost/cloning is by far easier and quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

toe_knee wrote: »
    You could also setup an unattended windows installation. It would make your installation less of a pain. If you do a google search for it there are very detailed instructions on it but it is very straight forward. Still though ghost/cloning is by far easier and quicker.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302577

Still prefer cloning :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

g4u (Ghost 4 Unix) is my tool of choice, but you'll need a second machine with an FTP server running on it, to use it. I used it to image my desktop to my file-server. It's a boot-disc based on NetBSD that creates an image of the hard drive sector-by-sector. It doesnt matter what operating system you are using, it will create an exact image.

Acronis TrueImage is also pretty decent, I used to have it as I got a free copy in a PC magazine once, but I lost the disc, and G4U is far more suitable because I save everything on my fileserver to begin with.

Advertisement