Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos ROI Price Cuts

Options
  • 21-03-2009 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭

From monday onwards, Argos in the ROI will be introducing over 700 permanent price cuts to items in the catalogue. This will bring a lot of prices down to a comparison to those in the UK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Sounds good. Where did you read this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

I work there. Advertising starts on monday in the papers etc. Also the first ROI specific promotion starting next week for communions and confirmations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

probably same as tesco's trash savers? argos have a habit of reducing the prices of all the rubbish leaving the good stuff overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭6stringmaniac

You have to be shitting me.
    I just bough something there today

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

You have to be shitting me.
    I just bough something there today

You can return it within 30 days in it's original condition without question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

They're still pretty expensive on most things. Wouldnt give them the steam of my piss to be honest.

To clarify that - staff are great, but prices are awful and the cream on the cake is when you compare ireland price to Uk price - same with aldi in ireland vs. germany

They're still pretty expensive on most things. Wouldnt give them the steam of my piss to be honest.

To clarify that - staff are great, but prices are awful and the cream on the cake is when you compare ireland price to Uk price - same with aldi in ireland vs. germany
    have to agree as the staff in the carlow argos are excellent even helping with carrying larger awkward items out to your car if they are not very busy. always smiling too they really look like they enjoy working there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Ill agree with the staff point also , argos seem to have a knack for getting good staff. Do they pay well?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

calex71 wrote: »
    Ill agree with the staff point also , argos seem to have a knack for getting good staff. Do they pay well?

What argos do you shop at?

The 2 stores in blanchardstown shopping centre seem to have the worst people working in the entire shopping centre.

Unbelieveably slow and customer service get on my nerves.

Still doesnt stop me buying things there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Big attraction of Argos is the range and amount of stock.
    They may not be the cheapest for a lot of items but when you can buy
    that number of goods in one shop, it's pretty impressive.
    Their returns policy is one, if not the, best around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

The 2 stores in blanchardstown shopping centre seem to have the worst people working in the entire shopping centre.

I've never had any trouble at them stores ,they can be busy all day ,every day. So the staff probably don't have as much time to be super nice.
    Their stock checking online is also handy.

Considering that a lot of Irish companies(bricks and mortars) are starting to take their prices offline.
    At least argos encourages people to use their store online ,regardless of what people think of the price difference. They are still being honest about things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

From monday onwards, Argos in the ROI will be introducing over 700 permanent price cuts to items in the catalogue. This will bring a lot of prices down to a comparison to those in the UK.

With price differences like this one example they should be reducing more than 700 and a long time ago!!

Bin argos.co.uk £17.14

Same bin Argos.ie €51.99

You will notice its even the same pictured used on both sites, so it is the exact same product. Ok the uk one is on offer, but why isnt it on offer here? And the original price was £34.29, how does that compare to €51.99,, it doesn't

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The-Rigger wrote: »
    You can return it within 30 days in it's original condition without question.
    LOL
    I remember they put an item through the till before I had time to mention the vouchers and then stonewalled. Straight over to the desk for a return and buy again with the vouchers. Argos 30 second return policy ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I know they put up the price of weights sets a huge amount just after christmas, I wonder if they did this on other items, so now they can claim to had slashed huge amounts off prices.

The 30 day thing is great, used to be only 16, I buy many things there because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Davy wrote: »
    With price differences like this one example they should be reducing more than 700 and a long time ago!!

Bin argos.co.uk £17.14

Same bin Argos.ie €51.99

You will notice its even the same pictured used on both sites, so it is the exact same product. Ok the uk one is on offer, but why isnt it on offer here? And the original price was £34.29, how does that compare to €51.99,, it doesn't

I wouldnt give them the steam of my piss either
    I had the same prob in dec, a mini beer fridge i seen
    in argos eniskillen for £89 (out of stock when i was there)
    was selling here for 169.99
    That nearly hurt enuff for me to travel up again and reserve
    it from galway tho i did bite the bullet when they reduced it
    to 144eu.
    Again, argos are competitive until you go up north and see
    how much you're being screwed and nobody screws you
    like argos when it comes to comparing the same products
    here and up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Have to say I agree bout the staff, been I there loads of times and found 'em great, and the no quibble returns are like nothing i've ever seen here.

It's the one UK chain I'm happy to see here, no I dont work there...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Can anyone confirm that argos are doing these price cuts today. Just checked there website and I don't see any difference from last week

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

liffey valley staff are really bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

700 items:confused: That would only be the first couple of pages of the catalogue. Argos must sell closer to 7 million different items so a price reduction on 700 items doesn't mean much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

foggy_lad wrote: »
    have to agree as the staff in the carlow argos are excellent even helping with carrying larger awkward items out to your car if they are not very busy. always smiling too they really look like they enjoy working there!

i think thats just Carlow in general. Even the staff in McDonalds give you a good smile. I think Carlow people are just a really friendly bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

LOL
    I remember they put an item through the till before I had time to mention the vouchers and then stonewalled. Straight over to the desk for a return and buy again with the vouchers. Argos 30 second return policy ftw.

nice :p

I returned something recently, it seemed like the stoneyfaced auld 'wan' was in a bad mood,as she abrasivly asked 'And what's WRONG with it?', I simply replied 'Nothing' and stared at her till she went about processing the return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

It has started instore.
    Nothing of any interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

The staff at Argos in Mahon Point are fairly bad IMO.

Nearly every time iv been there iv had a bad experience...

1. Getting the wrong change (this can happen anywhere though)
    2. Having to wait a good 20mins for someone to come and help me with returning a product that i didnt end up needing.(30 Days returns:D)
    3. Getting the wrong product(had to get a new receipt and start queuing again)

Iv only shopped there 5 times but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Went in today and wasn't impressed.
    Advertised 700 price cuts but nothing major stood out, just bog standard, a couple of items 50% off, the usual 20-30 % discount and bugger all else.
    2 or 3 items reduced in each category (apart from about 50 TV's which were about 50% over priced anyway).
    Very disappointed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Not really a bargain alert then.

Hmmmm consumer issues or Rip off ireland........ ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Went in today and wasn't impressed.
    Advertised 700 price cuts but nothing major stood out, just bog standard, a couple of items 50% off, the usual 20-30 % discount and bugger all else.
    2 or 3 items reduced in each category (apart from about 50 TV's which were about 50% over priced anyway).
    Very disappointed.

Yeah but think, they might reduce those items further during the year in clearance sales and what not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Argos new catalogue saw increases in the price of loads of items and they have become one of the most expensive places to purchase items.

This 700 price cut lark is the same type of false price reductions that tesco are operating - as proven in today's Irish Times.

example
    Children's Game Twister , argos 2008 = 14.79
    argos 2009 = 18.99
    argos 2009 long term price cuts = 14.99

smyths / ken black = €12.99
    Byrnes = €12.99
    Independent store in carlow = €12.95

it is just the same rubbish they have at inflated prices and pick 6-800 each month to "reduce" in price.

check this out too as these beds have not been in the catalogue or advertised in store before yet they now appear as if by magic at "half-price"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

I was in Argos in Swords on Sunday, and the store was empty. 3 people (me included) were the only ones who bought anything in the 10 mins I was there.
    People are voting with their feet.

Advertisement