Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to formally leave the Catholic church at 16?

Options
  • 21-03-2009 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Just curious, as I am turning 16 tomorrow.

I want to know is it possible to legally sign my name on one of those forms I've seen around on Atheist websites which are used to leave the church.

Or else on a letter that I would send to the Catholic bishop in my area.

If not, could I get the signature from one [or both] parents, and would that suffice.

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

This is my own slant on things but...

You could just never go to church again, couldn't you? AFAIK there are any forms.

I don't think you need approval from an atheist website :D

If you do, well, I approve you young atheist, go forth and question the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I've no idea but I'm curious as to why you need to formally leave the church?

I was baptized and confirmed and all that but I dont believe in God so I dont go to Mass, the thought of "formally" leaving the church never occured to me. Its not like leaving a golf club or somthing, I doubt the bishop keeps a list of members and will cross your name off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

These threads always go like this.

OP: How do I leave the church?
    First Response: I personally couldn't be bothered formally leaving the church so you shouldn't either.

Then someone level headed like me comes along and says something along the lines of "Some people just want to make it official for their own peace of mind. Besides, the more people the Catholic Church can claim as Catholics then the more power they can wield in society. Also, you get an awesome DEFECTED stamp over your baptism cert. How cool is that?"

Anyway Darren, I don't think your age matters, or it shouldn't. Hell, don't even mention your age. Unfortunately I don't remember the exact process but by the sounds of it you've got that much in hand. Think I'll get around to it soon myself, I don't want to be a member of any freaky cults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

if they claim you're mature enough to make up your mind to confirm yourself to the church at 12 im sure they'll allow to leave at 16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭STBR

Zillah wrote: »
    These threads always go like this.

OP: How do I leave the church?
    First Response: I personally couldn't be bothered formally leaving the church so you shouldn't either.

Then someone level headed like me comes along and says something along the lines of "Some people just want to make it official for their own peace of mind. Besides, the more people the Catholic Church can claim as Catholics then the more power they can wield in society. Also, you get an awesome DEFECTED stamp over your baptism cert. How cool is that?"

Anyway Darren, I don't think your age matters, or it shouldn't. Hell, don't even mention your age. Unfortunately I don't remember the exact process but by the sounds of it you've got that much in hand. Think I'll get around to it soon myself, I don't want to be a member of any freaky cults.

Well thank you very much for a REAL answer.

And I know, I wouldn't give my age except when they ask when I was baptised, they MAY be able to do some basic math ["may"], and thus realise what age I currently am.

But it's still worth a shot.

And yes I see it as a cult also.

And I also see their "ceremonies" as rituals.

Which is why I always call them rituals and some people don't seem to agree! :)

Thanks again.

if they claim you're mature enough to make up your mind to confirm yourself to the church at 12 im sure they'll allow to leave at 16.

HA!

Brilliant!

I'm going to use that if they question my age!

Thank you, sir! :D

all you have to do now is tell your parents, becuase if you don't they probably will, (they shouldn't but)

all you have to do now is tell your parents, becuase if you don't they probably will, (they shouldn't but)

Excuse me?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Text "STOP" to 53787.

But just think of all the free, tasty Jesus treats you'll be missing out on everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

SirDarren wrote: »
    Just curious, as I am turning 16 tomorrow.

I want to know is it possible to legally sign my name on one of those forms I've seen around on Atheist websites which are used to leave the church.

Or else on a letter that I would send to the Catholic bishop in my area.

If not, could I get the signature from one [or both] parents, and would that suffice.

Thanks a lot.
    only in a catholic country would this kind of thing come up, for the rest of us who cares what church you belong to ,just find god in your own way,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

SirDarren wrote: »
    Excuse me?

Don't you know the parents of Ireland are in cahoots with the catholic church.

Its a darn conspiracy I tell you... if I can keep one step ahead of the bishops in the black helicopters I should be safe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

yes burn down all of them ;)

getz wrote: »
    only in a catholic country would this kind of thing come up, for the rest of us who cares what church you belong to ,just find god in your own way,

Well the grammar and punctuation in that sentence was so bad I don't even know if you're supporting Atheism or not.

But since you're telling me to find a god, [I think?] I'm guessing you're not.

Please rephrase.

Don't you know the parents of Ireland are in cahoots with the catholic church.

Its a darn conspiracy I tell you... if I can keep one step ahead of the bishops in the black helicopters I should be safe...

There's just too many of them man!

Too many!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

wtf lol, just stop going

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

acontadino wrote: »
    yes burn down all of them ;)

I'm not sure if anyone is advocating that...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

wtf lol, just stop going

Please read post 4.

Not going in some people's view is not enough of a statement, and if the OP wishes to formally leave it's a different thing to "just not going" to church.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Malari wrote: »
    Please read post 4.

Not going in some people's view is not enough of a statement, and if the OP wishes to formally leave it's a different thing to "just not going" to church.

blah blah

you either believe in the waffle or you don't

blah blah

you either believe in the waffle or you don't

Riiight.

What exactly is the problem with him wanting to prove that he isn't belonging to a certain church?? Or anyone claiming on his behalf that he is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

For me , making a conscious decision that you are no longer of that religion is enough. It's your thought, your mind and your freedom and it is not bound (or at least perhaps should't be ) to any organisation.

Good point. There's lots of forms and applications that have a "Religion ?" question, especially in hospitals. At 16 you're probably still technically your parent's responsability and one of them is probably your next of kin so unless you've complete control over your hospital records and account then your parents may chip in when you're not looking and tell the receptionist that you're in fact Roman Catholic... as mine did many times when I was a teen :rolleyes:

I had an operation a few years ago and despite being sure that I requested a "no religion" answer on my form I still had a visit from a priest offering last rites... ye can't win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭macdave

Actus formalis defectionis ab Ecclesia catholica

i believe this is what you are looking for. it is indeed a procedure to formally leave the roman catholic church.

considering doing this myself.

http://nhoriginal.blogspot.com/2007/08/actus-formalis-defectionis-ab-ecclesia.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actus_formalis_defectionis_ab_Ecclesia_catholica

so there you go. i dont see any problem in renouncing ones religion.

perhaps if more people did this the roman catholicism might change at a faster rate

macdave wrote: »
    Actus formalis defectionis ab Ecclesia catholica

i believe this is what you are looking for. it is indeed a procedure to formally leave the roman catholic church.

considering doing this myself.

http://nhoriginal.blogspot.com/2007/08/actus-formalis-defectionis-ab-ecclesia.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actus_formalis_defectionis_ab_Ecclesia_catholica

so there you go. i dont see any problem in renouncing ones religion.

perhaps if more people did this the roman catholicism might change at a faster rate

Unbelieveable.

This is the first I've heard of this.

I thought it was somebody trying to be a smart-ass when I read the first line.

Definately will do this now, thanks a lot!

I hope I get some sort of certificate or a big stamp over my Baptimimal Certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

I'm sure God wont care whether you have a piece of paper or not!

the church might

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

afaik, the best way to ensure you have completely left the Church though is to have an Atheist Debaptism Ceremony, you know, to get any of the remaining holy water residue out of your hair :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

To people who say "why do you care?", I'll just say that if I had been signed up to the Nazi party when I was born, I wouldn't want to still be counted among their membership.

To people who say "why do you care?", I'll just say that if I had been signed up to the Nazi party when I was born, I wouldn't want to still be counted among their membership.

Hell, if I'd been signed up to Fianna Fail at birth I would make a similar effort to remove myself from their books! :p

Hear hear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 joe freethinker

SirDarren I'm a 16 year old who wants to leave the church also were not alone.
    you know the church gets power because it claims that 2/3 of the irish are catholic the more formaly excommunicated people there is the less power it has.

Advertisement