Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung NC20

Options
  • 21-03-2009 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭

P1010141.jpg

I took a few pics of my new NC20, I had a Dell XPS M1330 and a Dell Inspiron 1545 for comparison.(screen protector is still on nc20)

NC20 PIctures

Im gonna upgrade the ram to 2GB and add a SSD but I want to do some before and after tests. Maybe pcmark ? or something similar. Any suggestions ?

Iv already try'd some small games like peggle end Bejewelled Twist and they run great.

Im also going to try some HD playback tests later today.

My first impressions of the netbook are great, the screen is lovely and it a very light unit overall, the keyboard is easy and comfortable to type on (using it now). Got it from laptopsdirect for €415 delivered.

Let me know if you want anything tested on it.....

CC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭thedesigntribe

Hey CombatCow

How are you finding the NC20?

What is the performance like with the new VIA Nano chip when their are a few apps open?

Did you upgrade to 2GB?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yeah it's great I really like it, the screen is a perfect size for web browsing and playing games.....

I think the Nano is great, and is much better than the Atom Dell mini 12 that iv used before... The performance anyway while playing a few casual games and browsing the web is excellent. I did upgrade the ram to 2 Gig and it made the system a little bit nippier, worth the €20 anyway.

Playing HD video is still pretty much a no go, and the same for large res HD youtube video's.

If theres anything you want me to check, just say the word. Still waiting to get a solid state Hdd for it :)

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭thedesigntribe

CombatCow wrote: »
    Yeah it's great I really like it, the screen is a perfect size for web browsing and playing games.....

I think the Nano is great, and is much better than the Atom Dell mini 12 that iv used before... The performance anyway while playing a few casual games and browsing the web is excellent. I did upgrade the ram to 2 Gig and it made the system a little bit nippier, worth the €20 anyway.

Playing HD video is still pretty much a no go, and the same for large res HD youtube video's.

Thanks for that CombatCow,

This will primarily be used as a entertainment/email/browsing machine while traveling (Movies/Music & most importantly Dora for the little one) - how do you find it for playing non-HD movie files?

When you say "Playing HD video is still pretty much a no go" - is it really bad?

Yeah I pretty much use if for the same ( except the dora :P ), non hd stuff is fine, no problems there at all.

I try'd some 720p .mkv files and the audio was out of sync with the picture. I also try'd some mkv's converted to hd wmv and they played fine, so im guessing the mkv's are too much for it.... i'll try some more converted vids.

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gnudds

Mine works absolutly fine when playing HD. Download Zoom player and go to your Battery Manager. Set the battery to customized and change your CPU speed to Maximum. This will somewhat over clock your CPU as per a predetermined setting by Samsung. This should enable you no problems to play HD. As I said works a dream for me....:D
    Hope this helps there a numerous other ways of getting the NC20 to play HD but without downloading codecs and changing settings on Media playing software this is by far the easiest. No need to convert files and the likes. I did find .mkv files consume a hell of a lot more CPU usage though. Just keep the airflow to your CPU free and yer golden.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Looks nice,where did you buy it from?and how much?

Yeah im aware of the cpu scaling. As i said HD WMV's are fine it's just the .mkv's that have trouble playing smoothly on mine. Im using the "cccp2 pack and media player classic.

I bough it from laptopsdirect.ie for €410

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 8 intars

i use http://www.corecodec.com/ to play hd .mkv files on my nc20

Advertisement