Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Publican in Dublin selling Northern drink down south

Options
  • 21-03-2009 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭

Really cheesed off at this. There is a publican in Dublin selling bottled beer in his pub that has "not for individual re-sale" printed on the bottle. It also has the price in Pounds Sterling! Does anyone know where you can report this? I would not mind too much if he was selling them cheaper but he is not.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

His distributor wouldn't be impressed.

But I wondering is there a tax issue with bringing thousands of euro of drink across the border.
    Is it ok for "personal consumption" but not for resale?

I'd say www.revenue.ie would have this info

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tuff1

now that is acting the maggot. considering publicans get bottles on whole sale as it is so have a markup of about 600% on each one. im not sure but i presume you could report them to the VFI but doubt if anything would be done about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

dublincelt wrote: »
    Really cheesed off at this. There is a publican in Dublin selling bottled beer in his pub that has "not for individual re-sale" printed on the bottle. It also has the price in Pounds Sterling! Does anyone know where you can report this? I would not mind too much if he was selling them cheaper but he is not.

is it not nice

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

Tigger wrote: »
    is it not nice

What the hell is that supposed to mean? "is it not nice" ??? No it is "not nice" that the guy is obviously making a killing selling this drink, obviously not paying the government tax and selling the bottles for the same price that he would for the bottles he should be legally selling. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I suppose Customs & Excise would be interested to know if he's paid the duty on it.

(There was a thread earlier on regarding <snip> selling "not for individual sale" bottles but it got locked for some reason?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Sleipnir wrote: »
    (There was a thread earlier on regarding <snip> selling "not for individual sale" bottles but it got locked for some reason?

Because the actual name of the establishment where the alleged offence took place was mentioned

What the hell is that supposed to mean? "is it not nice" ??? No it is "not nice" that the guy is obviously making a killing selling this drink, obviously not paying the government tax and selling the bottles for the same price that he would for the bottles he should be legally selling. :mad:

ok so report him
    i would have thought that the taste etc would be more important in this forum than the fact he allegedly neglected to pay the duty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

If you suspect that he is bringing this in from the UK without paying Irish Excise Duty, and from what you say this is a reasonable suspicion, then report it to Customs. Contact details at http://www.revenue.ie

Des wrote: »
    Because the actual name of the establishment where the alleged offence took place was mentioned

Oops, did it again. Sorry!

ok so report him
    i would have thought that the taste etc would be more important in this forum than the fact he allegedly neglected to pay the duty

The point is I'm sure he's not selling it to the customer at a reduced price given that he may not be paying duty. Hence, he's defrauding the exchequer and also making an increased profit which the customer is paying for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

dvpower wrote: »
    If you suspect that he is bringing this in from the UK without paying Irish Excise Duty, and from what you say this is a reasonable suspicion, then report it to Customs. Contact details at http://www.revenue.ie

From Revenue.ie
    If you notice anything suspicious or if you have any information on drug smuggling or smuggling of any kind tell a Customs Officer or contact:
    Freephone 1800-295 295

Sleipnir wrote: »
    The point is I'm sure he's not selling it to the customer at a reduced price given that he may not be paying duty. Hence, he's defrauding the exchequer and also making an increased profit which the customer is paying for.

my point is that i'm not the revenue i don't know if what he is doing is allowed and legal advice is not allowed on boards

so the op is here to vent where as i wander in and out of this forum to hear about new and interesting ways to sake my ever increasing thirst for every more expensive and exotic beers

its probably heiniken from lidil that yer man is selling

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

my point is that i'm not the revenue i don't know if what he is doing is allowed and legal advice is not allowed on boards

so the op is here to vent where as i wander in and out of this forum to hear about new and interesting ways to sake my ever increasing thirst for every more expensive and exotic beers

I posted on here because it is a food and drink forum. As it is the food and drink forum, I believed some posters on here might be able to help on where to send such a complaint. As some helpful posters have indeed pointed out on where to send the complaint, it would seem that I posted on the correct forum. I also believed that it would be in posters interest on this forum that such a swindle was taking place. So to the helpfull posters, thanks very much for the replies.

You "don't know what he's doing" yet you say "it's probably Heineken from Lidl"

We're not giving legal advice. The OP has a suspicion that something illegal may be occuring and is asking who he can report it too. If you spot someone climbing a wall into a bank in the middle of the night, asking someone if you should call the Gardai is not seeking legal advice.

The publican may be buying the alcohol in the U.K., bringing it into this state and selling it. If he is avoiding duty and selling the alcohol in licensed premises down here, then that's an offence.

OP, well done on spotting it. If you report it and it does turn out that the publican is selling smuggled alcohol on licensed premises, you'll be doing the state and the ordinary drinker a service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭injured365

Never heard of a pub doing that before........... :p

Advertisement