Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What software for anti virus and spywear etc?

Options
  • 21-03-2009 1:46am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I generally try to avboid using as much of this as possible. I find it really annoying when antivitus etc software is very intrusive and always looking for attention. I don't want 3 or more programs. I want one single program that will give me decent basic virus and malware protection - withut putting on 12 extra bells and whistles that low my computer down and pop up all the time to tell me useless unformation.

Any suggestions for me?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

it's best to pick individual programs to do each task.
    otherwise you could pick a program that does good antivirus but poor spyware prevention.

Avast is a good free anti-virus. Better than avg

Malware bytes for anti-spyware. its an demand program so it doesn't run in background. you run it when you want to scan. unless you want to pay for it to get always on protection.

I've been using AVG for three or so years. I've never had a virus.

I'm sure people have different experiences with it, but i've yet to have a problem with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

nod 32 & spybot will give you a very good protected system. also you can turn most of them annoying bells and whistles off

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

I use avg and spybot and I am very happy with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I use AVG free. And Avast! on some older systems (it's a bit lighter), but I don't much like the ui compared to avg.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I use "Pctools Spyware Doctor" (with built in anti-virus too).
    Great app and unlike Nortons and others, does not effect the speed of your machine in minute to minute operation.
    It also find/detect stuff that others can't. I swear by it and have it installed on all my 5 machines/3 laptops. Not one has gotten a virus now in 4/5 years.
    (You can get a free Firewall too from them - exceptionally good)

At the very least, its worth checking out:
    http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/ or http://www.pctools.com/consumer/products/

Free Firewall: http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Adder1

Zascar wrote: »
    I generally try to avboid using as much of this as possible. I find it really annoying when antivitus etc software is very intrusive and always looking for attention. I don't want 3 or more programs. I want one single program that will give me decent basic virus and malware protection - withut putting on 12 extra bells and whistles that low my computer down and pop up all the time to tell me useless unformation.

Any suggestions for me?
    Thanks

I use commodo firewall and avg antivirus. Comodo is available as a complete internet security suite including antivirus. although not sure about the antivirus part thats why I stick with avg for now. You can install the firewall on its own if you like. It also has defense plus which monitors your system and alerts you to any changes which are about to be made and gives you the option to block them or not. It has an installation mode as well which reduces popups by allowing the installation programme elevated permissions.

Web sites
    Comodo.- www.comodo.com
    avg.- www.avg.com

PS forgot to say don`t run either two firewalls or antivirus programmes together or they will most likey cause conflicts although you can run mallware detection programmes such as spybot or adware at the same time as antivirus or firewall programmes.

Advertisement