Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC 4 Friday 27th - jazz night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Brilliant! It is the 50 year anniversary of one of the best years in jazz history:

Sketches of Spain
    Mingus Ah Um
    Giant Steps
    The Shape of Jazz to Come
    Kind of Blue

(to name a few)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Bosphorus

ya it really is!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

excellent, thanks for the heads up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bump!

The prog about the 4 greats of 1959 was pretty good, could have been longer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭dasdog

The Dizzy Gillespie broadcast (Jazz 625 from the BBC) after the show on 1959 was enjoyable. I was a little disappointed the focus on the '59 show was somewhat narrow but I've seen this before with BBC music documentaries. I don't think there was a single note of Giant Steps played and only a passing reference to John Coltrane but it was worth viewing.

More tonight

Jazz 625 - Oscar Peterson BBC4 7:30pm and "Cool" the influence of post war jazz around the world at 10 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Is this running for the next few weeks, then?

Is this running for the next few weeks, then?

Last one tonight by the looks of it apart from a few repeats tomorrow - Humph Littleton at 7 and Ella Fitzgerald: First Lady of Song at 8

Oh and Sunday

19:00
    Humph's Last Stand
    Jazzman and raconteur Humphrey Lyttelton in a performance at the Brecon Jazz Festival. (R)

19:50
    Omnibus
    01/02/2008
    Oscar Peterson and Andre Previn look at the styles and personalities in piano jazz. (R)

21:00
    Andre Previn: All the Right Notes
    Profile of the celebrated pianist, conductor and composer Andre Previn.

Caught a bit of the Oscar Peterson footage - great stuff! Thanks for the tip-off, mike!

• Advertisement

Tonights "Cool" was an old Arena documentary which should be a recommendation in itself. Very good stuff, could have been 2 hours long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭dasdog

Indeed, I saw some of the Oscar Peterson show which I thought was pretty amazing. The Arena 'Cool' documentary was very good also. And last nights show about Andre Previn was an eye opener. Such an incredibly talented and humble individual.

More jazz, will it never end?!

All on Saturday.
    20:30 Jazz Goes to College
    Stan Getz Quartet
    The Stan Getz Quartet in concert at the London School of Economics.

21:20
    1959: The Year that Changed Jazz
    Examines the 1959 albums of Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Charles Mingus and Ornette Coleman. (R)

23:15
    Smokey Dives
    Documentary about the traditional jazz scene in Britain, with George Melly. (R)

A particuarly interesting documetary tonight

Documentary about British heiress Pannonica Rothschild, who defied her family to start a new life in New York after hearing a track by saxophonist Charlie Parker. Her great niece explores how she became a legend in the jazz world and why her relatives are still reluctant to tell her story. Featuring the voice of Helen Mirren, unseen archive footage and contributions from friends and relations including Quincy Jones and Clint Eastwood. Part of Jazz 1959 season

9 pm

Also more Jazz 625 concerts.

Tomorrow - Lets Get Lost (1988) The life of Chet baker. also 9 pm.

Would have loved to have seen this but was stuck in an airport while it was on :( I love that Monk tune written for her.

Will these be available on bbci I wonder?

Advertisement