Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi 1Tb External Hard Drive €99.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Looks like a cheese grater...
    Was about to shoot it down. However it's got esata connections which is nice a fast. Only thing is I don't have esata on my copmuter :(

Does it still have USB tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Bill-e wrote: »
    Looks like a cheese grater

Ha ha...:D

I'm assuming that the 'plug and play' is referring to usb and not e-sata? Prob need to see it before committing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

I think you put tea-lights under it and it keeps your food warm.

I'm guessing it uses the proprietary connector Aldi have on top of their PCs for easy HDD docking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Looks like a cheese grater...
    Was about to shoot it down. However it's got esata connections which is nice a fast. Only thing is I don't have esata on my copmuter :(

I've never seen a notebook with an eSata connection so, yes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

All the new Dell Latitude E series, I use a E6400 for work and it comes with a eSATA port.

carbsy wrote: »

I can confirm that you can hot-swap eSATA with not problem the same as you do with USB or Firewire.
    Funkyzeit wrote: »
    Ha ha...:D

I'm assuming that the 'plug and play' is referring to usb and not e-sata? Prob need to see it before committing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭junglecliff

this work on an imac..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭ChumpStain

I was looking for a second external hard drive on the cheap, thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭madbadger

Komplett.ie have a 1tb western digital external for 95e, which is usb2 for those who dont have esata... :)
    check it:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=420463

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

dabs have a 1tb external for €83
    http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?QuickLinx=5FBD

got 1 there last week and its excellent. the case is very hard and nicely shaped.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

hmm... i do need more storage...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

well, will it work on a normal puter? Whats esata?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Yes these do have USB 2.0 ports as well as the esata connections, i picked up the 640GB one last time and has run perfectly for me. No problems to report.

The-Game wrote: »
    Yes these do have USB 2.0 ports as well as the esata connections, i picked up the 640GB one last time and has run perfectly for me. No problems to report.

Im going to nip in for one in the afternoon, i let ye know how i get on.

Got it this morning. Will let ye know how i get on later

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

carbsy wrote: »

My HP pavilion dv5 has an eTATA port.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

I picked up one of the Medion 1 Terrabyte Hard Drives at Aldi's today, put a couple movies on it and then connected it via USB to my Silvercrest DVD player, but it can't see any of the movies. The drive is formatted as FAT32, I thought this should work. I have a 8GB USB thumb drive and when connected to my DVD player, it plays movies flawlessly.

Is this a fault of the Hard Drive, the DVD player or the format?

If it is the DVD player, could anyone reccommend one where I could watch movies direct to the Television without copying to my USB thumb drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dricco

Most likely that the dvd player can't dectect such a large external HD. Normally anything greater than 100G won't detect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

The DVD play may have a 500GiB limit on USB drives attached.
    Bozacke wrote: »
    I picked up one of the Medion 1 Terrabyte Hard Drives at Aldi's today, put a couple movies on it and then connected it via USB to my Silvercrest DVD player, but it can't see any of the movies. The drive is formatted as FAT32, I thought this should work. I have a 8GB USB thumb drive and when connected to my DVD player, it plays movies flawlessly.

Is this a fault of the Hard Drive, the DVD player or the format?

If it is the DVD player, could anyone reccommend one where I could watch movies direct to the Television without copying to my USB thumb drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Imac no problem.

If the DVD player can't detect a USB device so big, would it help if I partitioned the drive into smaller sections, although the complete drive would still be 1 terabyte?

• Advertisement

Feckin sold out :( ill try a few other branches over the w/e but amnt holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

Nerin wrote: »
    Got it this morning. Will let ye know how i get on later

I would be interested to know whether the drive makes much noise. I want to get an eSata drive for use as a media player - I would like it to be no louder than a CD drive.

bugfreebob wrote: »
    I would be interested to know whether the drive makes much noise. I want to get an eSata drive for use as a media player - I would like it to be no louder than a CD drive.

Unfortunately my laptop (which in fairness has taken much abuse over the last two years) keep crashing or windows keeps freezing when i'm copying from my 500gig to the tb,so theres nothing on it so fair. Copied 4 gigs before my laptop kept spluttering,and the drive was pretty quiet, quietest one i have i do believe.
    More tests once i get things sorted.

As far as the noise, I can answer that, the new Medion 1 Terrabyte drive from Aldi's is so quiet I don't know it's on, as opposed to my older 300G Targa drive, which sounds like a train. The only other problem I've so far noticed with the new Aldi's hard drive is it doesn't have an on\off switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

As far as the noise, I can answer that, the new Medion 1 Terrabyte drive from Aldi's is so quiet I don't know it's on, as opposed to my older 300G Targa drive, which sounds like a train. The only other problem I've so far noticed with the new Aldi's hard drive is it doesn't have an on\off switch.

Yeah the one i have is so quiet as well, excellent to run in that sense.
    The older ones also have no power switch either, but i don't always leave it on 24/7 anyways, use it for removable storage so just plug it out when not being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately, I tried several ALDI's yesterday, but they all seem to be sold out :(

Advertisement