Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QUB-Post grad: grant?

Options
  • 20-03-2009 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi too all, just wondering if there is any one who might be able to shed some light on this for me....? I've been in receipt of the maintenance grant for my undergraduate degree and therefore fingers crossed will be able to get it for my masters also(suffering with the masses at the moment and hoping an extra year will help me secure work at some point!) but here is my query:

I've read on a few websites that if you attend QUB you can claim the maintenance grant as it is one of the few Uni's in the north that they fund for post grads/masters but then I emailed the local council this morning and got back an email that they dont fund outside of the Rebulic.To add more confusion I was in contact with a lady from the same office a while back and she had said there was about 5 uni's in the North they covered but I'd have to email to get the info...so is it a case of crossed wires with in the department or has the situation changed as of late. Would be great if anyone could enlighten me. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Samhlaigh wrote: »
    Hi too all, just wondering if there is any one who might be able to shed some light on this for me....? I've been in receipt of the maintenance grant for my undergraduate degree and therefore fingers crossed will be able to get it for my masters also(suffering with the masses at the moment and hoping an extra year will help me secure work at some point!) but here is my query:

I've read on a few websites that if you attend QUB you can claim the maintenance grant as it is one of the few Uni's in the north that they fund for post grads/masters but then I emailed the local council this morning and got back an email that they dont fund outside of the Rebulic.To add more confusion I was in contact with a lady from the same office a while back and she had said there was about 5 uni's in the North they covered but I'd have to email to get the info...so is it a case of crossed wires with in the department or has the situation changed as of late. Would be great if anyone could enlighten me. Thanks in advance!

I'm from the Republic and my maintenance grant/fees payment from Cork City Council covers my taught postgrad at QUB. I guess the situation might have changed....but if it did they kept it quiet!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Samhlaigh

Thanks meanie boots, from Cork myself so good to hear that. Hoping the girl who emailed me got it wrong.:) So will ring and check again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

According to http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9389/my-chosen-full-time-course-is-in-a-college-in-northern-ireland/index.html then if you get a grant then you'll have the fees paid for

Samhlaigh wrote: »
    Thanks meanie boots, from Cork myself so good to hear that. Hoping the girl who emailed me got it wrong.:) So will ring and check again.

The more Corkonians the merrier! What are you coming for?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Samhlaigh

Hopefully, urban and regional planning if all goes to plan, have you been there for undergrad/postgrad....nice city to live in...?will I cope with the absence of the fair old city of Cork :D

• Advertisement

Only for postgrad, was in Derry for undergrad. You'd be surprised how big a Cork contingent there is up here! I know a couple of lads from Midleton & Fermoy doing the MSc Construction & Project Management and iirc Markok84 lives with a lively bunch somewhere in South Belfast. :D

I feel an NI/GB Colleges Beers approaching us!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I feel a north of Ireland Colleges Beers approaching us!

Sounds good man!! :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

GAAman wrote: »
    Sounds good man!! :D;)

did you edit that?

lol yeah he did. I'll catch up with him on facebook.

Advertisement