Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish and Chips in Dingle

Options
  • 20-03-2009 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

My Dad visited Dingle last week, fish and chips €11.95 for one portion. I know Dingle is a tourist spot but not much surprise that in the hour he was there he was the only one in the chip shop!

Rip off or good value for a take away meal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Abstar

rip-off! And I'd say I know the place too. Not worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

Eh rip off. I cant believe he paid it. :eek:

Im quite stubborn and if it was me I would NOT have paid it. Id rather go hungry than pay those prices. Id normally have the price calculated up in my head when im waiting at the counter for the food.

Did they not have prices up on a board or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

I know the place you are talking about and during the summer they really rake it in ... if i remember correctly, the prices for sitting down are different to those for taking away ... but both are quite high priced

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Fair enough, should be able to haggle :D Seriously though we all calculate in our head right this going to be roughly such and such and I purposely take out the amount that i think is fair before they tell me the price. So have the money in the hand they say its such such and they see me going to my wallet to get more money out. Obviously if it was a reasonable amount as I myself are like you Beans, will refuse to pay way overprice. But this method is a subtle way of showing workers that we think its perhaps more than what we think its worth without making a schene. Saying that, the workers probably dont care anyways :pac:

Eh rip off. I cant believe he paid it. :eek:

Im quite stubborn and if it was me I would NOT have paid it. Id rather go hungry than pay those prices. Id normally have the price calculated up in my head when im waiting at the counter for the food.

Did they not have prices up on a board or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

So this was a normal chipper and the takeaway price was €11.95? i.e. it was not a restaurant type place, and he was not sitting down, and had no drink?

That is expensive but I presume the prices were clearly on display like in any chipper I have ever been in.

I would expect to pay up ~€9 in a normal chipper in dublin for that. Fish is surprisingly cheap in chippers, e.g. comparing prices in supermarkets for fish, burgers or pizza, fish is really relatively cheap in takewaways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

No wonder the tourists are staying away. The Dingle place has always acted as if it's a 5 star gourmet's paradise instead of an over-priced chipper! The problem is that places like this aren't alone, and the various ones that I know the ins and outs of are making serious profits - for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

It is over priced but they serve "real" fresh fish, which tastes much much better than the crap you'd get in any other run of the mill chipper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

If its the one I know of in Dingle, yes its expensive, but it a high quality fish n chips you get. - Generally Dingle offers a higher quality of food than other tourist towns, albeit at a slightly higher price.

afaik, they state that all their fish is local & fresh - not frozen & the chips are all hand cut. - Portion size is good too.

Most fish in chippers is frozen and the chips come in pre-cut.

Not great value, but not a rip off either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

darc wrote: »
    If its the one I know of in Dingle, yes its expensive, but it a high quality fish n chips you get. - Generally Dingle offers a higher quality of food than other tourist towns, albeit at a slightly higher price.

afaik, they state that all their fish is local & fresh - not frozen & the chips are all hand cut. - Portion size is good too.

Most fish in chippers is frozen and the chips come in pre-cut.

Not great value, but not a rip off either.

Fish doesnt freeze well and is usually delivered fresh to chippers.They may blanch(half cook) it before storing it for a day or so but thats about it.
    Chips are nearly always cut by hand(machine really) as frozen chips ae expensive and take up lots of freezer space.
    A four stone bag of spuds is much cheaper than 400 bags of frozen chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I used to work for that family in their other shop in Dingle, the food is gorgeous but definately not worth the money, especially since I've seen how much of a profit they are making on the food.

Also the potatoes arent hand cut, they have a machine to do it:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement