Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LAPTOP HAS DIED.......R.I.P.

Options
  • 19-03-2009 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

SO my laptop has died and i know that its due to the power thingy being damaged. so now i cant power it up to charge the battery or to transfer data off hard drive. if i take out the hard drive what type of adapter thing do i need to hook it up to my new computer? the hard drive has about 40+ little pins in it so how do i power it up and get the data off ? any ideas please?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What's the make and model of the laptop?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

44 pins and a block of 4 too

borrow a power adaptor form someone withthe same type of laptop

or get a 2.5" USB ATA or IDE enclosure
    or a 3.5 to 2.5 IDE adaptor

the new laptop probably has a SATA drive which uses a different connector ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

What your looking for is this......

http://cgi.ebay.ie/USB-2-0-To-IDE-HDD-Adapter-2-5-3-5-Connector-Cable-C6_W0QQitemZ250320895848

pic_1.JPG

.... I'm not recomending that eBayer or anything but even if they don't deliver 3euro isn't a big loss ;) but do allow at least 2 weeks (often takes 3) for stuff from Hong Kong.

For a laptop IDE drive you don't even need a power connecter its all in the 44 pin block.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

When you say the power thingy being damaged do you mean the socket on the laptop or the power supply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Just buy an external HDD, swipe out the drive and insert yours....> then hook this up to another pc via the usb 2.0

Most use sata interfaces, well the ones I had anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement