Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engagement Present

Options
  • 19-03-2009 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

So the missus wants to buy me a smart watch as an engagement present. Thing is, in my line of outdoor work, I use a Suunto for day-to-day use, it's indestructible and don't mind scratching/damaging it.

As such, I won't be wearing the "good" watch every day, so just wondering would I be better of just going for a quartz watch so that I don't have to reset the time every time I want to wear it??

Looking for a watch, simple face, steel bezel.. something like the Breitling Colt below - any suggestions/feedback from people ?? :confused:

movadobaby_2044_471809156

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Yoda08

I suppose the automatic version of the Colt doesn't appeal as much as it only has bars for telling time, and not numbers (I need the duplo version of a watch!!).

Budget is up to euro1800ish.. and I'm looking for a simple face, no fancy dials and confusion, just simple and classy.. but not a coloured bezel, and a simple strap (current verision of Seamaster has a complicated strap with 5 links - I preferred the colt strap).

Phew - didn't think I was fussy until I stopped typing!
    Any suggestions gratefully accepted! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,751 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

1800 is a lot of money on a quartz, really would be better spent on a mechancial, are you set on a quartz

also something like that breitling would be seen as a very rugged watch, is that the style you want or are you open to something smarter?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Cyrus wrote: »
    1800 is a lot of money on a quartz, really would be better spent on a mechancial, are you set on a quartz
    +1

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭piaget

Have a look at Blowers.co.uk, they do a lot of preowned stuff which will make your money go further especially with the good rate today on sterling. I bought from them and they get good feedback on the watch forums. Stay away from quartz though because with that budget you are definitely into Omega/IWC/Breitling automatics on the preowned market.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭piaget

bedlam wrote: »

Sorry, was typing too quick, I can also recommend you look at older Zeniths, the new ones are far too flashy and overpriced and they go for good money on the preowned market, typically 50% off new price.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the suggestions Bedlam, will certainly check them out.
    And Piaget - cheers for the website, looks like some quality bargains alright.

Just to say, with the budget of €1800, to quote the RSA "it's a limit, not a target!" so was willing to spend about €1300 on the Colt Quartz (buying on Amazon and delivering to cousin in America) but only because it was the style that stood out.

I'd prefer that sporty diver-look, with preferably a navy background (not a fan of black not sure why!) rather than a strictly dress-watch in the sense of some of the leather-strapped versions.

Having said that, I'll walk in to Weirs or Paul Sheeran, and maybe have a chat, try on some styles, see what they suggest. How hard can it be to buy a watch?! :rolleyes:

Yoda08 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions Bedlam, will certainly check them out.
    And Piaget - cheers for the website, looks like some quality bargains alright.

Just to say, with the budget of €1800, to quote the RSA "it's a limit, not a target!" so was willing to spend about €1300 on the Colt Quartz (buying on Amazon and delivering to cousin in America) but only because it was the style that stood out.

I'd prefer that sporty diver-look, with preferably a navy background (not a fan of black not sure why!) rather than a strictly dress-watch in the sense of some of the leather-strapped versions.

Having said that, I'll walk in to Weirs or Paul Sheeran, and maybe have a chat, try on some styles, see what they suggest. How hard can it be to buy a watch?! :rolleyes:

you woukldnt believe how hard it is!

sheerans have some models on sale at the moment, was in there last night trying on another iwc i cant afford :D

what about a tag aquaracer in blue, underbudget and fits the criteria of simple face etc and bracelet, auto movt

DSCF0957.jpg?t=1237554979

or omega aqua terra

4377885?$detail475$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I nearly baught this today visa was out :eek:

http://www.seikowatches.com/products/arctura/kinetic_c.html

lovely :)

Cyrus wrote: »
    or omega aqua terra

4377885?$detail475$

now that's nice, simple and streamlined.... good choice to recommend for me! Cheers

• Advertisement

so thanks for all the advice... decided to go for an automatic.. and a happy medium for the breitling..the colt GMT.. funny how when you get an idea of what you want into your head, tis hard to budge!! :)

colt4.jpg

good stuff, where did you end up buying from?

post pics when it arrives :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Nice one. Have a Colt Automatic myself. Great watch. Well wear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

Money no object? Go for a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms or a Rolex Explorer II black dial.

As for not wearing it every day - pick up a watch winder for €200 - €300

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

Money no object? Go for a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms or a Rolex Explorer II black dial.

As for not wearing it every day - pick up a watch winder for €200 - €300

Why skimp on the winder.. Check out this bad boy only $2k :eek:

I thought I was bonkers spending €500 on a dual winder!

yhst-17500646488425_2050_20351573

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

Nice!

:D Is there a steam or stirling powered version?

Advertisement