Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Packard Bell Laptop

Options
  • 19-03-2009 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

I have a 3yr old packard bell laptop which has packed up and is asking for me to reboot the system from the recovery media. I have a desktop which the info on the hard disk has been transferred to but I want to get the old laptop working again. It is only going to be used for some basic internet surfing or some word while out and about etc but I don't want to spend £50 for revovery disc from the manufacturer. Any idea if I can get this cheaper or free elsewhere or any other options?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

try linux (ubuntu 8.1 for laptop) its free

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

mp22 wrote: »
    try linux (ubuntu 8.1 for laptop) its free

+1 to that. Give it a shot, plenty of resources online for Ubuntu newbies. It's a great free OS for what you need, very xp like in it's appearance too. SInce it's free you can try it and if it doesn't work out you can think about other options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ILoveBeer

Thanks,

I'll give that a shot. I had heard about it and looked into it a little.

How do I go from the screen asking me to reboot to installing that though? i'll take a look at Ubuntu webiste and see if answer is there also.

Will I need the media at all then?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

you need to enter the bios try pressing f2 on power up change bios to boot from cd/dvd drive first,save and exit put ubuntu disk in drive then reboot and select install on this pc

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

Which PB laptop is it?
    I have 2 around the house & may have recovery cds to spare.

• Advertisement
Advertisement