Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photographers rights in Ireland

Options
  • 19-03-2009 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I've just found this article about photographers rights in Ireland and wondered if it's still 'vaid'? http://www.digitalrights.ie/2006/05/09/photographers-rights/

The reason I ask is because it was written in 2006 so, essentially, it's 3 years old.

If it's incorrect, where can I find and print off the law? I'm going to be buying a camera today so I want something to carry around in my bag in case I am challenged by a member of the local Polizai, sorry, Gardai. :D

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Gardai really are not the issue in Ireland imho, its security guards who think they know the law are a bigger issue in both Ireland and the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

The above link is regularly quoted here, but I have seen anything, at least that I can recall which is newer than that. Its validity or otherwise is subject to circumstance and interpretation.

I'm sure a legal mind will only ever offer an opinion so belt and braces - prepare to potentially end up in court (which in reality rarely ever happens). For a quiet life, obey the direction of the law enforcers no matter what jurisdiction you are in - even if they are in the wrong. Yes, Yes, why should you? - well I did say for a quiet life. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Cabaal wrote: »
    Gardai really are not the issue in Ireland imho, its security guards who think they know the law are a bigger issue in both Ireland and the UK

In the UK it's slightly different they are trying to bring in a law that stops even press photographers from takin shots of the police as an anti-terrorist measure. It's been well documented in The British Journal of Photography over the last 2 or 3 months.

In Ireland I think you have to be more aware of your surroundings i.e. are you standing on private property or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

I wouldn't bother printing the "law" to carry around with you. The police are generally grand in Ireland vis a vis street photography.

Quoting the law etc and your much more likely to encounter stuff like harrassment, refusing to move on etc..

Just use general cop on, have respect for people, delete shots if asked to (by people you've photographed not the police) and don't be a nuisance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

trishw78 wrote: »
    In the UK it's slightly different they are trying to bring in a law that stops even press photographers from takin shots of the police as an anti-terrorist measure.

They actually brought that in to law about 2 months ago now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Paulw wrote: »
    They actually brought that in to law about 2 months ago now.

I saw shots of maybe a hundred photographers protesting at the Old Bailey all with there cameras out taking shots

Advertisement