Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will O'Brien and O'Reilly junior mean for INM?

Options
  • 19-03-2009 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭

Surprised that none of the usual suspects have posed this question on here.

I'm wondering if they'll:
    - invest in a better online presence for the newspapers, based on the perhaps optimistic premise that DO'B and GO'R understand new media
    - make any radical changes to the layout of the Indo or the SIndo and perhaps some of their content
    - try to cut costs even further although at INM they seem to pretty much cut to the bone already
    - find a buyer for the Indy in Britain or come up with an effective strategy to try and increase its circulation

What d'y'all think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I'd say they'd be looking at increasing the online presence of the Indo/Sindo anyway. Maybe along the lines of the Guardian in the UK. I'd hope that they'll change some of the content in the Indo/Sindo to make it a serious rival to the Times (in my eyes it is second-rate in quality and layout).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭jmcc

Well one thing could be the reduction in the control of O'Reilly and his family over INM. There is a big financial deadline looming in May this year for INM and the banks may have been less than impressed with O'Reilly senior's performance and want to see evidence of change.

Reorientating the Sindo would take a lot of work and it would involve some of its "journalists" being culled in an effort to drive the newspaper upmarket. If the Sunday Times decides to cut its cover price for the next few months, the effect on the Sindo could be devastating.

The Sunday Tribune may be terminated as it seems to be a moneypit into which money was poured in an effort to deter the Irish Times from entering the Sundays market (though the Irish Times might have problems of its own). I think that under O'Brien, there will be a lot of cost-benefit analysis. I'd expect to see a lot more cuts, enforced salary cuts for remaining journos, no more freelancers and a lot more emphasis on online operations.

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

More cuts, restructuring or what every you want to call it your self.

Advertisement