Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Carbonyl Question

Options
  • 18-03-2009 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hey, I need to know, can a carbonyl carbon which is singly bonded to two differenct alkyl groups be termed an assymetric carbon atom?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napapa

yes because the alkyl chains are of different length, whereas acetone is symmetric.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

I would say no, as it's planar and therefore has a plane of symmetry.
    It can be deemed pro-chiral though, as the two faces of the carbonyl are different. This means that it's one step away from a chiral carbon, for instance, is you react it with a Grignard, you'll get two enantiomers.

The two faces of a carbonyl can be assigned by the CIP rules 're' and 'si'.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Its not chiral, it is prochiral, carbons with C2 symmetry are not chiral. As a previous poster pointed out either face of the carbonyl 'may' differentiate in a chiral enviroment and nuceophilic substitution may yield a chiral product.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

No, absolutely not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napapa

I stand corrected. Apologies for misleading information, chirality was never my forte so shouldn't really comment on it. Thanks for correct explanation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement