Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BER for second hand home - required or not?

• 18-03-2009 11:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

We were doing a viewing a couple of days ago on a second hand 3 bed semi in Dublin and when I asked the selling agent about the BER cert I was told it wasn't required for this property as it had already been up for sale before January 2009.

Having googled around I'm doubtful she's right but would be grateful if someone could put me straight on the matter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 berireland

Only properties that were agreed before 31st December 2009 do not require BER Certs.

So in this case the property DOES require a certificate.

See http://www.sei.ie/ber

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Bluehair wrote: »
    We were doing a viewing a couple of days ago on a second hand 3 bed semi in Dublin and when I asked the selling agent about the BER cert I was told it wasn't required for this property as it had already been up for sale before January 2009.

Having googled around I'm doubtful she's right but would be grateful if someone could put me straight on the matter.

absolute BS....

a BER is supposed to be available for any prospective purchaser / renter, when offered for sale or rent, so that an informed decision can be made.

I would demand one from the agent, and threaten with reporting him/her to the building control of your local authority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Its definately required but a lot of people are not getting them done until the house goes sale agreed, they dont want to spend the money and they're waiting untill the solicitors demand them. While you would be within your rights to demand one and report everybody you could try a different approach, say you are interested but are looking at similar properties with BERS done and you need to be able to compare them before you make a bid!!! That might get the vendor moving.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭japbyrne

Rubbish.
    I dont know what the agent is at there,because it will be pulled up by solicitor.but i would want to know the rating before it gets to the solicitor stage.
    The BER cert is a valauble piece of information, if the rating is not good, and you still like house, area, that cert can be used to bargin, bargin, bargin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Thanks for the confirmation everyone. We are ready to make an offer so I will push the BER issue now with confidence. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭tmdsurvey

Bluehair wrote: »
    Thanks for the confirmation everyone. We are ready to make an offer so I will push the BER issue now with confidence. Cheers.

Dont forget to request a copy of the 'Advisory Report'. This is also to be provided by law....

Advertisement