Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double standards from certain Mods

Options
  • 18-03-2009 10:44pm
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭


    I wish to raise the confusing double standards that appear to exist in the moderating of various forums. For starters I wish to point out, I am not appealing any of my bans and / or infractions but I feel I am being warned and banned when others are not.

    My infractions:
    1. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55413006#post55413006 In this thread I recieved an infraction for making an insulting blanket statement about a whole organisation.

    2. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57369913#post57369913 In this I recieved a harsher infraction than the person that was speaking off topic with me.

    3. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59311963#post59311963 IN this I was accused of trolling and recieved a 7 day ban for my troubles even though I considered the other user to be trolling a thread I startered.

    4. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56941677#post56941677 IN this I recieved an infraction for insulting a user and then a ban for appealing the infraction in public. Bearing in mind my comment was a genuine belief and my appeal sound but ignored because you cannot insult another user.

    Incidents where I have complained and being told Im wrong.

    1. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055356580. Now remembering that this is a thread that got me banned, the amount of general insulting of Gardai is unbelievable and even my complaint about the thread title was ignored (Garda POS = Garda Piece of **** and everyone knows it)

    2. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055504826 In this thread Im being directly mentioned despite not even posting anything. First in post 8 IM directly called rude which true or not, is an insult. Then in post 11 Im refered to as the "Rudest normal user" whatever that is and then to add salt to the wound, an Smod then quotes the comment and agrees with it in post 14. Then we skip to post 36 where I am now being refered to as 'bitter'. Again, that aint a compliment. I wait until post 127 to complain and Im then told that its ok because the user believes I really am rude. So now the rules have changed or is it because of who made the comments? Considering I even asked nicely for the comments to be amended but no. That would be too civil and evidently Mods and Smods can say what they like.

    3. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055514856 Now again we have someone call me a liar even though I am again not even aware the thread exists. This is proved incorrect but yet remains and is in fact, repeated despite being accepted as incorrect by mods.

    4. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055487422&page=6 Now here again Im called a liar and the thread is closed, then reopened and I am demanded to respond to a question when no other person has had any such demand made for them to produce evidence and to date, no such demand has still been made. And all this before IM even online. hen we eventually get to post 90 where ONYD commits what I would consider back seat modding and refrers to me as a 'chimp' which again is clearly an insult as there is no way he actually believes I am not human. Finally, in post 93 a user makes a perfectly acceptable comment and asks me to clarify something whihc ONYD thanks (clearly believing the user to be correct) and again the thread is closed leaving me again looking like a liar and a fraud.

    So IM asking, taking all this into consideration. Can the mods really claim to be impartial and fair?
    Post edited by Shield on


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks


    700+ mods Eru. Can you really say there are problems with all because you feel you've had some issues with a few of them?


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster


    Eru wrote: »
    So IM asking, taking all this into consideration. Can the mods really claim to be impartial and fair?

    As said, there are hundreds of mods. Every mod is allow to mod their forum as they see fit. You seem to be spending time in forums where mods don't seem to tune into your way of thinking/posting.
    The rules of the board are so that it is the user that needs to adjust their style of posting or accept that how they perceive things isn't the 'norm'.

    Graham,You are without a doubt an ignorant fool.

    This is an automatic 1 week ban, not matter what Graham said or did. Attack the post, not the poster. It's an easy rule to live by.



    To drag up the usual reply, Boards.ie is a private site. Maybe mods have taken exception against you in the past and you haven't done anything to change their point of view. The problem in your argument is believing that mod are mods are by default "impartial and fair". Some of the "Emergency Services" mods are very good, others are still learning their way, some are clearly not fit for modding solely based on the examples you have given. You need to learn where the line is and you won't get infracted as much.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^


    If there's anything to be taken from the links to your infractions, it's that you don't bloody well learn from your mistakes. Learn to read the charters and respect the other users (including the mods) and you'll get along just fine around here.


  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel


    Eru wrote: »
    IN this I recieved an infraction for insulting a user and then a ban for appealing the infraction in public.

    And there's your problem straight away.
    For some reason you seem to think that breaking the rules of this site is ok for you.
    Insulting another member with personal abuse is not allowed in most forums on this site.
    Arguing in thread about it is also frowned upon.
    where I am now being refered to as 'bitter'. Again, that aint a compliment.

    Whither you like it or not, that is exactly how you come across from reading your comments.
    This thread only confirms that for me.
    You are dragging up infractions from last year in an attempt to question the actions of the mods of ES. I'm not seeing anything wrong with their actions.
    What I am seeing, once again, is you thinking you are somehow above the law of that forum.
    You have a lot to contribute, why not read the Charter and work within it?


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades


    This is just an observation...

    I've never heard of you or read any of your posts before this thread. Consequently my perception of you is solely from what I've just read in the links you've posted above - and you don't come off well.

    My suggestion is stop making antagonistic posts - use the report post function or PM the mods with issues. Maybe then you won't find yourself on the opposite end of the stick you want to be at.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh


    Dades wrote: »
    This is just an observation...

    I've never heard of you or read any of your posts before this thread. Consequently my perception of you is solely from what I've just read in the links you've posted above - and you don't come off well.

    +1. I'm sure you're a nice guy, but it seems really important to you that people know you're a cop and treat you with the respect you think that position deserves. Really, on boards, you have to earn respect based on the content you generate. Who or what you are in real life is rarely important.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman


    As a user in all the forums bar one, the 2 things I hate to see are bickering in threads which includes people unhappy with mod decisions (regardless of whether or not I feel the mods decision was right) and the second thing I hate it people feeding a troll train. Trolls feed off traffic and replies. It just makes for unsightly reading and if entertained, brings the quality of a forum down.

    If you are playing a football match and you commit a questionable foul, the ref doesnt stop the match for 20 minutes so that everyone can have a feisty debate about it. He makes his decision and if it needs to be appealed after the event there are channels to do it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant


    Eru wrote: »
    4. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56941677#post56941677 IN this I recieved an infraction for insulting a user and then a ban for appealing the infraction in public. Bearing in mind my comment was a genuine belief and my appeal sound but ignored because you cannot insult another user.

    Incidents where I have complained and being told Im wrong.

    1. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055356580. Now remembering that this is a thread that got me banned, the amount of general insulting of Gardai is unbelievable and even my complaint about the thread title was ignored (Garda POS = Garda Piece of **** and everyone knows it)

    Can the mods really claim to be impartial and fair?
    peasant wrote: »
    grrr ...

    You've already sent me the same argument via pm on foot of your infraction and posted it on thread...which I deleted and you now re-posted

    Congratulations ...you have now pissed me off and earned yourself a *ban for your troubles.





    * 1 day

    So you're now complaining that last years 1 day ban was too short and you would like a longer one?

    That could be arranged.


    Get a grip man


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru


    Eru wrote: »
    IFor starters I wish to point out, I am not appealing any of my bans and / or infractions
    Ponster wrote: »
    Attack the post, not the poster.

    Exactly, so how can calling me ignorant, rude and a chimp in threads Im not even posting in not be seen as breaking that rule?

    Thats my sole complaint. I accept that Peasant was right to ban me for what I said and as pointed out, Im not disputing My bans and infractions. I got heated and argued, I have learnt from that but when I report a post Im told the posts are OK because its a personal opinion (and I fail to see how anyone can believe Im the worlds smartest internet using primate). It cant be both, either its bannable to insult someone or its OK because you genuinely believe what you said. Which is it?


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley


    Take your medicine.

    nobody wins internet debates, as futile as your arguement maybe


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera


    [EMAIL="lmfao@chimp"]lmfao@chimp[/EMAIL]. Brilliant :D


  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo


    Eru wrote: »
    So IM asking, taking all this into consideration. Can the mods really claim to be impartial and fair?
    In my dealings with you (remember those?), we had an issue with the fact that you were antagonistic - always looking for a fight. Now, in a way, that did stimulate conversation and debate and I felt that was good for the forum. However, occasionally, you stepped over the line and you were pulled up on it. You weren't happy then, either. But, if you keep on pulling the tail of a dog, you're going to get bitten, no matter how just and equitable the dog is.

    That's a forking shocking analogy, but you get the point. Take this example, then. I'm routinely stopped by a Garda at a road check. Now, my tax/insurance/NCT are in order, but I act like a complete and utter dick to the Garda. I can expect the Garda will, at some point, go 'fcuk this, I'm going to get this guy for something'. Next thing, I'm getting done because there's a crack in my rear-view mirror. It's an offence, but I wouldn't have been done for it but for the fact that I provoked the Garda to that extent.

    The same applies here.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru


    In my dealings with you (remember those?), we had an issue with the fact that you were antagonistic - always looking for a fight. Now, in a way, that did stimulate conversation and debate and I felt that was good for the forum. However, occasionally, you stepped over the line and you were pulled up on it. You weren't happy then, either. But, if you keep on pulling the tail of a dog, you're going to get bitten, no matter how just and equitable the dog is.

    That's a forking shocking analogy, but you get the point. Take this example, then. I'm routinely stopped by a Garda at a road check. Now, my tax/insurance/NCT are in order, but I act like a complete and utter dick to the Garda. I can expect the Garda will, at some point, go 'fcuk this, I'm going to get this guy for something'. Next thing, I'm getting done because there's a crack in my rear-view mirror. It's an offence, but I wouldn't have been done for it but for the fact that I provoked the Garda to that extent.

    The same applies here.

    Ok I get that. Certain allowance and when thats gone your done all the time, fair enough but that doesnt mean that the Gardai would ignore a crime against you.

    My points not hitting the mark here. Is it or is it not a bannable offence to insult another user? Simple question that everyone is avoiding.


  • Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭ [Deleted User]


    Eru wrote: »
    Ok I get that. Certain allowance and when thats gone your done all the time, fair enough but that doesnt mean that the Gardai would ignore a crime against you.

    My points not hitting the mark here. Is it or is it not a bannable offence to insult another user? Simple question that everyone is avoiding.

    You are thinking in terms of black and white.
    Boards also has grey.

    I will react differently to the same situation based on a posters history on any of my forums. So if you started acting the dick in Wexford or Equestrian, I may give you more leeway then an established posters.

    Same goes if someone is there causing hassle and the flow of threads goes against them, then I might not be so quick to act.

    As with everything, context is king.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin


    I prefer quadruple standards, it is more confusing to the poster and results longer, funner feedback threads....


  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo


    Eru wrote: »
    Ok I get that. Certain allowance and when thats gone your done all the time, fair enough but that doesnt mean that the Gardai would ignore a crime against you.
    I take your point on that. However, we're not dealing with the likes of assaults and thefts etc. where a Garda would generally prosecute. However, if there's a domestic disturbance or two or more people are having a heated debate on the street, there would be a little more leeway to allow people a chance to calm down under the threat of a warning.

    I dispute that you'd get done for everything since the time scales are different. Because of the proximity of the comments on the site, it's like repeating the same abuse on the street all night and all day for a few days in a row. You're likely to get done for all of that. Whereas, if you just occasionally get into arguments, the time-lapse might allow you more leniency - hence the reason for forum bans here. Taking some time out from debate that's provoking you and/or others can be a good thing for everyone.
    My points not hitting the mark here. Is it or is it not a bannable offence to insult another user? Simple question that everyone is avoiding.
    Neither is that a simple question nor is everyone avoiding it. It's a matter of proportionality of the offence versus the punishment. I could have an argument with a mate where we call each other names, it might get heated and then at some point, it becomes socially unacceptable for me to step up the name-calling to the next level.


  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel


    You were not called a chimp though? The poster said you made a chimp out of yourself. A bit like saying someone was acting the bollix, rather than calling them a bollix.

    Not your ornery onager



  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker


    chimps are cool though. I want one.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon


    GuanYin wrote: »
    I prefer quadruple standards, it is more confusing to the poster and results longer, funner feedback threads....

    Said like a true "same threads are spam" same thread spammer [additional adjectives] mod...

    attachment.php?attachmentid=75332&stc=1&d=1237560613


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin


    turgon wrote: »
    Said like a true "same threads are spam" same thread spammer [additional adjectives] mod...

    attachment.php?attachmentid=75332&stc=1&d=1237560613

    Mmhmmm.... because leaving Politics fora without charters is a good idea?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko


    Eru wrote: »
    My points not hitting the mark here. Is it or is it not a bannable offence to insult another user? Simple question that everyone is avoiding.
    Insulting another user is usually an infraction or bannable offence. Just as a guard can choose not to act on a minor transgression a moderator might let something small slip by. Use the report button and let the forum moderator make the decision.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy


    You assembled a very interesting post Eru, impressive. I have to agree with a lot of what you say but and its a very big BUT if a Garda tells me to move on I have to move on, it doesnt matter what I think.
    Ive gotten into bother with both Mods and the Gardai and no matter what my personal feelings are I have to do what Im told or face penalties, thats life for you. Mods make crappy calls sometimes, so do Gardai from time to time and your right its not fair but who ever said life was fair?
    Years ago now I had a disagreement with a Mod and I was very clearly insulted, so what? I've done just as bad to others.
    I remember posting an advertisement in the for sale section years ago (Used condoms for sale I believe was the title) and it was deleted with nothing said to me as there were no rules back then. As time went by Boards grew and grew and grew so rules were needed to stop silliness (yes I confess it was because of people like me :rolleyes:) and IMO they have worked well as a hole.
    You just have to take it on the chin mate. The Mod might not always be right but their always the Mod.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger


    some mods do sometimes show bias

    i recommend not trying to deal with them and just ignoring them you won't win i have been told that m a mod insulting me while in theory being wrong was in practice allowable

    not worth the hassel dude


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley


    turgon wrote: »
    Said like a true "same threads are spam" same thread spammer [additional adjectives] mod...

    attachment.php?attachmentid=75332&stc=1&d=1237560613

    FAIL


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon


    snyper wrote: »

    Utterly so.

    I have to go find a corner of boards to hide in for a while.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney


    snyper wrote: »

    More so, given that said Occifer of Teh_Law isn't wearing any trousers.

    Reading some of the hissy fits here from AGS members makes me dread being stopped for a dud tail-light, or having to rely on some youthful primadonna with ideas above their station, in a crisis.


  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi


    + 1/2

    Some of the ES posters show themselves to be more concerned that they should get automatic respect because they are Guards but others (Deadwood comes to mind) show great humour and sense.

    Maybe the force is like that - young bucks V old dogs ?

    You can't buy wisdom - it comes with age. Mods are like posters - with experience comes smarts...


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley


    Ive never being to the ES forum that i can recollect - actually i have been, i posted a thread just to proclaim my respect for ambulance workers. Epic people reguardless of their personality..

    Gardai however thats a different bag of onions.

    Robo cop from the "reclaim the streets" protests and the 3 Gardai up in store street station that arrested me are the only ones i have any particular automatic respect for.

    Gardai are people like the rest of us, however i know dozens of them, some are friends i went to college with, and one personality trait that they all have among the few i know is that they were /are all sly mise me fein sleeveens -



    But... regardless, they do a job i wouldnt like so.. w00t! go them.


Advertisement